Thread: ASCII for Cubed

Thanks
    I see in Word that it's "\U+00183"... I don't get it. And then, "to the fourth" is "2074,Alt-X".

What am I doing wrong here? I'm not getting the result right *at all*.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='772619' date='27-Apr-2009 19:17']I see in Word that it's "\U+00183"... I don't get it. And then, "to the fourth" is "2074,Alt-X".

What am I doing wrong here? I'm not getting the result right *at all*.[/quote]
    That's not ASCII: I think ASCII is limited to about 255 characters.

Try using a font like Arial Unicode MS that supports novel characters. Any luck?

(Meanwhile, I will dispose of the duplicate thread.)

Thanks
    If you want a superscripted 3, try Alt+0179. This should yield this -- -- and be present in ordinary fonts.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772622' date='28-Apr-2009 12:34']If you want a superscripted 3, try Alt+0179. This should yield this -- -- and be present in ordinary fonts.[/quote]
    Similarly Alt + 0178 gives squared

Thanks
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='772623' date='27-Apr-2009 19:42']Similarly Alt + 0178 gives squared[/quote]

Guys, thanks. Those two worked well.

Q4Q

As can be seen, I (just) found that you can use Word's Superscript (Ctrl-Shift =) and then cut and paste.

I wouldn't have thought that would work, as Word is certainly not "plain ASCII", but it did.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='772840' date='29-Apr-2009 02:52']I (just) found that you can use Word's Superscript (Ctrl-Shift =) and then cut and paste.

I wouldn't have thought that would work, as Word is certainly not "plain ASCII", but it did.[/quote]
    This board has two editors, "standard" and "rich text." The rich text editor apparently embeds Word HTML from the clipboard, including superscript formatting. For example, your post contains this HTML source:

Code:
    <span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 12pt; line-height: 100%;">Q<sup>4</sup>Q</span></span>
    As you can see, the board tries to preserve the font face and size of the text you pasted from Word, as well as transferring the superscript formatting. I'm sure this won't work for every type of Word formatting, but because HTML has a direct counterpart to superscript (<sup>), subscript (<sub>), and strikethrough (<s>), at least those should be supported. And you can always apply them manually if you wish. In the standard editor, these are accessible using the little icon toolbar above the compose box, it's the one with the aA and the drop-down arrow.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772922' date='29-Apr-2009 10:52']This board has two editors, "standard" and "rich text." The rich text editor apparently embeds Word HTML from the clipboard, including superscript formatting. For example, your post contains this HTML source:

Code:
    <span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 12pt; line-height: 100%;">Q<sup>4</sup>Q</span></span>
    As you can see, the board tries to preserve the font face and size of the text you pasted from Word, as well as transferring the superscript formatting. I'm sure this won't work for every type of Word formatting, but because HTML has a direct counterpart to superscript (<sup>), subscript (<sub>), and strikethrough (<s>), at least those should be supported. And you can always apply them manually if you wish. In the standard editor, these are accessible using the little icon toolbar above the compose box, it's the one with the aA and the drop-down arrow.[/quote]

Ah...thanks Jefferson.

Something else I've noticed about this board's functioning: I use a keyboard macro program (signatures, phrases etc.) which uses strings as triggers.

IN most instances, they don't activate on this board at all...

Strange...

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='772925' date='29-Apr-2009 11:18']Something else I've noticed about this board's functioning: I use a keyboard macro program (signatures, phrases etc.) which uses strings as triggers.

IN most instances, they don't activate on this board at all...[/quote]
    Perhaps a subject for Lounge Matters, or Other Software, depending on where issues with the keyboard macro program are best addressed.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772928' date='29-Apr-2009 11:23']Perhaps a subject for Lounge Matters, or Other Software, depending on where issues with the keyboard macro program are best addressed.[/quote]

As the program seems to work in (all) other instances, could it be something in the board's means of capturing input? And, if so, would that be a (my software question, or...?

Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='772931' date='29-Apr-2009 11:34']As the program seems to work in (all) other instances, could it be something in the board's means of capturing input? And, if so, would that be a (my software question, or...?[/quote]
    It could be a lot of thing but what it most definitely is not is related to the subject of this topic. Please start a new topic in the location of your choice. Once you describe it in detail, it should become clearer. But again, please not in this thread.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772984' date='29-Apr-2009 14:39']It could be a lot of thing but what it most definitely is not is related to the subject of this topic. Please start a new topic in the location of your choice. Once you describe it in detail, it should become clearer. But again, please not in this thread.[/quote]

Oh yeah...I'm sorry...will do...

Chuck