New Lounger
    Thanks
    I forget the sourse but on instrtuctions I entered at the 'command prompt' as follows: netstartshellhwdetermination
    since then my cd nor dvd player work ..the media player works from music stored on the hard drive.
    how do I 'undo' what I typed at the command prompt to get back to the way it was.??
    would appreciate any help ...thanks...Gordo

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Which version of Windows do you have? 2000, XP, Vista, ...?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='GORDO' post='772621' date='27-Apr-2009 22:34']I entered at the 'command prompt' as follows: netstartshellhwdetermination[/quote]
    In addition to Hans' question, are you sure you entered what you typed here, exactly as typed? If so, nothing should have happened except maybe you would have gotten an error message.

In this screenshot, you can see that the command is two words, separated by a space. If you enter "netstart" as a single word, you should have gotten an error. I see nothing about "...shellhwdetermination"

Help us with a bit more info, please.

[attachment=83509:2009_04_28_061434.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='GORDO' post='772621' date='27-Apr-2009 21:34']I forget the sourse but on instrtuctions I entered at the 'command prompt' as follows: netstartshellhwdetermination
    since then my cd nor dvd player work ..the media player works from music stored on the hard drive.
    how do I 'undo' what I typed at the command prompt to get back to the way it was.??
    would appreciate any help ...thanks...Gordo[/quote]

Hi Hans,thanks for your interest
    I'm using VISTA Home Premium
    also I checked back to my notes and there should be some spaces as follows:
    net start shellhwdetermination
    thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='GORDO' post='772805' date='29-Apr-2009 02:59']net start shellhwdetermination[/quote]
    The command net start will start a service, but I cannot find any information about a service called shellhwdetermination. Where did you find the information that led to you running this command?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='772820' date='29-Apr-2009 01:25']The command net start will start a service, but I cannot find any information about a service called shellhwdetermination. Where did you find the information that led to you running this command?[/quote]

I did not jot the source down with my notes;;;but it was something to do with 'auto play' security...I think it came from a link on Ask Woodys web page...
    any way maybe it doessn't matter anymore.
    It seems my cd/dvd is now warking.
    a while ago I installed a DviX program off a DviX disk which originated in Egypt. a tourist info item..So yesterday I uninstalled the DviX file and now my Windows Media Player works for both cd and dvd.
    So maybe what I had entered at the command prompt hasn't done anything....but I will be more cautious before I try something I'm not sure of

thanks everyone for your interest..Gordo

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for letting us know.

You can reduce the risk of causing problems by
    • Keeping a note of what you change, and where you found the information
    • Creating regular backups, if you have software that can do that, and if not then creating a restore point before making any change