Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

I am working on the document in which lots of cross refrences are provided within the document.The cross referncing is done for the text with in the document.
    Now the problem is whenever I create the PDF of the document the crossreference link doesn't work for all the links.Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable and working while many of them are not.

Their are about 500 or more links in 150 pages document.

Kindly help in resolving this issue.

Best Regards,
    M.Sharma

Thanks
    [quote name='techwriter2k9' post='772660' date='28-Apr-2009 05:55']I am working on the document in which lots of cross refrences are provided within the document.The cross referncing is done for the text with in the document.
    Now the problem is whenever I create the PDF of the document the crossreference link doesn't work for all the links.Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable and working while many of them are not.[/quote]
    How do you create your PDF: are you using Microsoft's PDF converter add-on for Word, or are you using Adobe's PDFMaker add-on, or are you using something else?

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='772727' date='28-Apr-2009 23:32']How do you create your PDF: are you using Microsoft's PDF converter add-on for Word, or are you using Adobe's PDFMaker add-on, or are you using something else?[/quote]

Hi,

I am using Adobe acrobat PDF maker for generating the PDF of this word document.
    This is done using the acrobat menu that gets displayed in the menu bar (in Microsoft word) after we have installed the adobe acrobat on our machines.

regards,
    M.Sharma

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='techwriter2k9' post='772660' date='28-Apr-2009 22:55']Hi All,

I am working on the document in which lots of cross refrences are provided within the document.The cross referncing is done for the text with in the document.
    Now the problem is whenever I create the PDF of the document the crossreference link doesn't work for all the links.Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable and working while many of them are not.

Their are about 500 or more links in 150 pages document.

Kindly help in resolving this issue.

Best Regards,
    M.Sharma[/quote]

Hi M.Sharma,

Do the problem cross-references work as hyperlinks in the Word document? If not, you need to add the hyperlink switch to the affected cross-reference fields. You can do this by:
    1. select the field
    2. Press Shift-F9 to expose the field code, which will look something like: { REF _Ref228797810 }
    3. Add the hypelink switch (ie '\h') to the end of the field code, thus { REF _Ref228797810 \h}
    4. Press F9 to update the field.

If this isn't apparently the issue, are the problem cross-references formatted any differently than the working ones?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='772841' date='29-Apr-2009 15:24']Hi M.Sharma,

Do the problem cross-references work as hyperlinks in the Word document? If not, you need to add the hyperlink switch to the affected cross-reference fields. You can do this by:
    1. select the field
    2. Press Shift-F9 to expose the field code, which will look something like: { REF _Ref228797810 }
    3. Add the hypelink switch (ie '\h') to the end of the field code, thus { REF _Ref228797810 \h}
    4. Press F9 to update the field.

If this isn't apparently the issue, are the problem cross-references formatted any differently than the working ones?[/quote]

Hi ,
    Thanks for the response,

Actually the problem is not in the word document, the problem generates when the PDF of this document is created.All the cross references that are working fine in the word document are not working in the PDF document.

Regards,
    M.Sharma

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='techwriter2k9' post='772853' date='29-Apr-2009 21:02']Hi ,
    Thanks for the response,

Actually the problem is not in the word document, the problem generates when the PDF of this document is created.All the cross references that are working fine in the word document are not working in the PDF document.

Regards,
    M.Sharma[/quote]
    Hi M.Sharma,

In your original post, you said:
    Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable and working while many of them are not.
    If none of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable, as you're now saying, that's consistent with Adobe Acrobat's pdf conversion process - only links like http://www.someaddress.com will be recognized as a link and converted properly in the PDF.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='772867' date='29-Apr-2009 18:20']Hi M.Sharma,

In your original post, you said:
    If none of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable, as you're now saying, that's consistent with Adobe Acrobat's pdf conversion process - only links like http://www.someaddress.com will be recognized as a link and converted properly in the PDF.[/quote]

Hi,
    Thank you for the response

Probably i am not clear in conveying the issue , the issue remains as i originally had said :Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable in PDF and working while many of them are not."
    Although all of them are working fine in word.

Regards
    M.Sharma

Thanks
    A new post continues this discussion: [topic="762950"]Regarding hyperlink (Word)[/topic].

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='techwriter2k9' post='772891' date='30-Apr-2009 00:53']Hi,
    Thank you for the response

Probably i am not clear in conveying the issue , the issue remains as i originally had said :Some of the cross refrenced filelds are clickable in PDF and working while many of them are not."
    Although all of them are working fine in word.

Regards
    M.Sharma[/quote]
    Hi M.Sharma,

Could you post sample Word and PDF documents showing cross-references that work in Word but only some of which work in the PDF?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]