3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My boss will often forward to me an email with attachements, with a request to circulate it to a particular dept, team, etc. My contact folder is grouped by category, so I can easily select all the contact I need, click the New Message to Contact button, and then copy and paste the email addresses into the CC field of the email to be forwarded. Is there any easier way to do this? This happens several times a day, and the group to send on to varies, also the members of the category change overtime, otherwise I would keep a list in Clipmate or some similar prog. I use Office 2007 attached to an Exchange server. Thanks Frank

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='frankwalsh1962' post='772690' date='28-Apr-2009 09:45']My boss will often forward to me an email with attachements, with a request to circulate it to a particular dept, team, etc. My contact folder is grouped by category, so I can easily select all the contact I need, click the New Message to Contact button, and then copy and paste the email addresses into the CC field of the email to be forwarded. Is there any easier way to do this? This happens several times a day, and the group to send on to varies, also the members of the category change overtime, otherwise I would keep a list in Clipmate or some similar prog. I use Office 2007 attached to an Exchange server. Thanks Frank[/quote]

Why not use distribution lists with easy to remember names? However, you have to remember to update the distribution list members when there is a personnel change.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='772695' date='28-Apr-2009 16:08']Why not use distribution lists with easy to remember names? However, you have to remember to update the distribution list members when there is a personnel change.

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe, I don't use dist lists for just that reason. Contacts may be in several, many or far too many categories, and the categories change almost daily - ie which project or phase a person is in. I can just about keep up with maintaining a contact and it's categories, using the open contact form but found DLists to be unworkable. The amount of traffic is increasing, up to now I could cope with the clunky copy and paste method. 2007 won't allow me to select by category in the 'Select recipients' box which open when I click the 'To... 'button which would be a great solution.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='frankwalsh1962' post='772701' date='28-Apr-2009 09:21']Contacts may be in several, many or far too many categories, and the categories change almost daily - ie which project or phase a person is in. I can just about keep up with maintaining a contact and it's categories, using the open contact form but found DLists to be unworkable. The amount of traffic is increasing[/quote]
    I don't have Outlook 2007. In Outlook 2003 one can Filter Contacts list through the View menu, then select all the Contacts displayed in the resulting View, and then use Message to Contact; all the selected Contacts are included on the To: line. In the Outlook 2003 Contact View Filter settings, the "More choices" dialog allows selection of multiple Categories. Can you test that in Outlook 2007? If it works, note that you can permanently save Filtered Views under new View names and call them up through the View Menu.

(If the Category memberships are as volatile as you describe, managing them will always be a burden.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='772706' date='28-Apr-2009 16:51']I don't have Outlook 2007. In Outlook 2003 one can Filter Contacts list through the View menu, then select all the Contacts displayed in the resulting View, and then use Message to Contact; all the selected Contacts are included on the To: line. In the Outlook 2003 Contact View Filter settings, the "More choices" dialog allows selection of multiple Categories. Can you test that in Outlook 2007? If it works, note that you can permanently save Filtered Views under new View names and call them up through the View Menu.

(If the Category memberships are as volatile as you describe, managing them will always be a burden.)[/quote]

Hi John, the method you describe is the one I currently use. Displaying the contacts grouped by category also works. Once I have a blank email with the To.. field populated by 30 or 40 names, I copy them to the email I am forwarding and paste into (usually) CC and then send it. This is so that the attachments get forwarded - lazy me just wants to save a few mouse clicks! I have not found a more efficient way but hope the loungers might know a trick ........
    Cheers.