Thread: LogMeIn

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi -

I am drawing mental blanks on how to do this: I want to access my sister's PC from mine. Do I go to her PC and create an account using her name, password? Then go back to my PC and add create account? (I already have an account) She is less computer literate than I, so I can't walk her thru the steps, even if I knew them.

Thanks for any advice.

Acer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='772697' date='28-Apr-2009 10:09']Hi -

I am drawing mental blanks on how to do this: I want to access my sister's PC from mine. Do I go to her PC and create an account using her name, password? Then go back to my PC and add create account? (I already have an account) She is less computer literate than I, so I can't walk her thru the steps, even if I knew them.[/quote]

1.) Have you followed the "Getting Started" link at LogMeIn - Remote Access and Desktop Control Software for Your Computer?
    2.) What operating systems are on each PC?
    3.) Do either or both have a router?
    4.) What firewall is running on each PC?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='772697' date='28-Apr-2009 16:09'][/quote]
    If it works anything like CrossLoop, all you both do is click on the CrossLoop icon on your respective PCs, and your sister would tell you a 12-digit number which comes up, and which you would type into your own CrossLoop window. Then the connection between your two PC would be established via the CrossLoop website, and you would see her PC desktop as a full-screen window on your own PC, and be able to manipulate her PC using your mouse and your keyboard. No problems with the hardware firewall and no changes needed to any accounts - it just works!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We both have Win XP, I have a Router, not sure if she does. Using Microsoft's Firewall.

I have read the documentation, but don't understand what I have to do when I'm sitting at her PC to enable me (what to install, what passwords to use, etc.), at my PC, to access hers.

Thanks again

Obviously, her machine is in a different geographic location from mine...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='772703' date='28-Apr-2009 10:35']We both have Win XP, I have a Router, not sure if she does. Using Microsoft's Firewall.

I have read the documentation, but don't understand what I have to do when I'm sitting at her PC to enable me (what to install, what passwords to use, etc.), at my PC, to access hers.

Thanks again

Obviously, her machine is in a different geographic location from mine...[/quote]

Have you installed the LogMeIn software? Which version (free, pro, etc.)? Have you looked at the Getting Started Guide (pdf)? Have you watched the Flash Demo?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Have you installed the LogMeIn software? Which version (free, pro, etc.)? Have you looked at the Getting Started Guide Have you watched the Flash Demo"

Joe

Joe - yes, watched the Demo. I don't want to access MY PC but rather my sister's from my PC. We are using the Free version. The Guide doesn't indicate how to add another Computer for access from my computer -- at least not that I can understand.
    Yes, installed the software. (Youtube videos also don't say how to add a 2nd computer.)

Thanks again, Acer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This program MUST be installed on your sister's machine and then you are going to have get the controls from her.

The design of this program is that you install it on your machine, then you can access YOUR machine from any where as you have the required login information.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='772719' date='28-Apr-2009 10:03']I don't want to access MY PC but rather my sister's from my PC.[/quote]
    For purposes of using the documentation, pretend her PC is your PC. You are going to access that or any other remote PC using the LogMeIn.com web site.

Edit: I guess the pretending only goes so far: you will need her username and password in order to connect to the PC using LogMeIn Free or Pro.