Thread: Wheel Mouse

gjgiever

Wheel Mouse

After loading a Windows update my mouse stopped working. After a couple of restarts it works--partly. The wheel function still doesn't work. I am running Windows98 SE on a laptop computer. If I go into the Control Panel and delete the mouse in the System folder will the computer reload the software and fix the problem or will this make it worse? Is there another solution?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wheel Mouse

[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]Happened to me several times; does your notebook have a synaptics touchpad or some other pointing device?

gjgiever

Yes it does. Do you have a cure?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

did you disable the touchpad? that seems to help, but then you can't use both. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

gjgiever

NO, I left that setting alone. I will try that to see if it works. I don't use the touchpad very often, so that won't bother me. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This won't make sense, but advice from Synaptics was to the effect that the wheelmouse driver is, shall we say, selfish, and tries to take over every chance it gets. I installed and used it for some time, then began to realize that the touchpad was a better way. I suggest you MAKE yourself use it for awhile and you might agree. If you do, you will have to uninstall the wheelmouse and look for every file and registry entry that relates to it. Delete them, then reinstall the touchpad driver. It may take several tries. See the Synaptics site for help and the latest drivers.

gjgiever

Bill,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. My work set-up, however, makes this approach unworkable. I set up at two different locations with a docking station that is connected to a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I do not have room to open the laptop completely and to reach across the keyboard to use the touchpad would be awkward at best. I rwarely use the computer as a laptop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see. According to Synaptics (from dealing with the same problem) your only other answer is to disable the touchpad, and make sure you have the latest driver upgrade for the wheelmouse from Microsoft's site. Best of luck; that route didn't help me much at all. I still lost the wheel on a regular basis. Hopefully you won't!

gjgiever

Thanks Bill. I will check that out.