Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded this 'automatically' without knowing what it was or that it was coming. I am not eager to download another 14 updates (in my case) which total half a GB if there is any way I can copy or extract the necessary data from the one machine to apply it to another. Is there?

This is in Vista. I am accustomed to seeing a collection of entries in a light blue in the Windows folder of previous versions which I understood to be files already installed, but I can't seem to find them here. The TEMP directory contain contains nothing of interest.

Microsoft's automatic download service is fine for most of us most of the time, but for something as big as this that you may want to install on more than one computer, I think they should give you the heads up and tell you what it is and give you the option of storing it. Had I seen your post before the fact, I would have been able to download it once for the bulk of the updates, and keep it for future use if needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='772865' date='29-Apr-2009 07:21']I have downloaded this 'automatically' without knowing what it was or that it was coming. I am not eager to download another 14 updates (in my case) which total half a GB if there is any way I can copy or extract the necessary data from the one machine to apply it to another. Is there?

This is in Vista. I am accustomed to seeing a collection of entries in a light blue in the Windows folder of previous versions which I understood to be files already installed, but I can't seem to find them here. The TEMP directory contain contains nothing of interest.

Microsoft's automatic download service is fine for most of us most of the time, but for something as big as this that you may want to install on more than one computer, I think they should give you the heads up and tell you what it is and give you the option of storing it. Had I seen your post before the fact, I would have been able to download it once for the bulk of the updates, and keep it for future use if needed.[/quote]

There are download links for the various update packages in the KB articles. You can download the udpates and put them on a network location so you can install on multiple PCs.

Joe
    Joe