Thread: System failure

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Inspiron PC with Vista Home. It has almost totally crashed, allowing me only to run in Safe mode without network. Any other mode casues it to go into an endless loop.

I have tried doing System Restore which thinks it has succeeded but makes no difference.

I have tried to get into the the Dell PC restore which is supposed to be accessed by pressing F8 when it is starting up but this doesn't work - it doesn't stop what is going on.

I am not sure if I have operating system disks (I have two Dell Vista computers and only one set of disks) so have no idea what to do.

I have managed to back up all important data so could cope with re-installing the system but don't know how.

Any help gratefully received.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772800' date='28-Apr-2009 19:54']I have a Dell Inspiron PC with Vista Home. It has almost totally crashed, allowing me only to run in Safe mode without network. Any other mode casues it to go into an endless loop.[/quote]
    This is going to sound strange but I have a Dell Dimension and this page talks about Dell Latitude, but I think (most) all Dells use the same keystrokes: Dell Documentation

I'll also admit that I've never used F12 (to my recollection anyway) and I don't remember if the online tech guy had me go there once, but it's worth a try to see if you can get any help. Otherwise, I don't have any ideas about what might be wrong.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772800' date='28-Apr-2009 18:54']I have a Dell Inspiron PC with Vista Home. It has almost totally crashed, allowing me only to run in Safe mode without network. Any other mode casues it to go into an endless loop.

I have tried doing System Restore which thinks it has succeeded but makes no difference.

I have tried to get into the the Dell PC restore which is supposed to be accessed by pressing F8 when it is starting up but this doesn't work - it doesn't stop what is going on.

I am not sure if I have operating system disks (I have two Dell Vista computers and only one set of disks) so have no idea what to do.

I have managed to back up all important data so could cope with re-installing the system but don't know how.

Any help gratefully received.[/quote]

If you can boot into Safe mode but not normal mode it is usually one of:

1.) A driver issue - have you updated any drivers?
    2.) A hardware issue - have you added any hardware? Have you run any diagnostics?
    3.) A program in your startup - use something like Autoruns for Windows to identify what start when you boot your PC (Use the Logon tab). If you disable one at a time until you can boot then you've identified the culprit.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this.

I ahven't updated any drivers recently.

I did a System restore back to 24th April, and the most recently installed program on my list is now 11th March. I had installed AVG 8,. (free virsu checker) but that has gone and I now have AVG 8.0 again.

I installed software for Homeplug device on the day the system crashed, but that has also now gone, I assume removed by the System restore.

I can access the Boot system with F2 and the system with F12 but have no idea what I can do when I get there.

I cannot access the internet on the crashed computer so cannot download the Autorun for Windows. I could download itonto another PC - woud you recommend this?

The computer has a separate hard disk (or prsumably a partition) which is called a Recovery drive, and I assume this could be used to reset the computer to its factory state, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. The Dell documentation says I should do CTRL F11 while the systme is starting up, but this does nothing.

Thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='epzcaw' post='772904' date='29-Apr-2009 11:52']The computer has a separate hard disk (or prsumably a partition) which is called a Recovery drive, and I assume this could be used to reset the computer to its factory state, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. The Dell documentation says I should do CTRL F11 while the systme is starting up, but this does nothing.[/quote]
    CTRL F11 is for Windows XP systems on Dell computers. F8 is the procedure for Windows Vista systems on Dell computers.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wasn't holding F8 down for long enough before. have done a factory reset and it is now back to its original state - so I have to re-install lots of stuff.

What is a bit worrying is that I had more or less the same problem with thsi laptop last week - see

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=762738

I had removed the security key from my wireless network (not for any good reason - jsut happened when I was fiddling with it to correct something and I didn't bother to re-install - it's there now!). Is it possible that someone could have tampered with both computers. We have one runningon XP which seems to be ok.

Or could it be a failure of AVG free anit-virus software.

Has cost me lots of time and energe and have lost some stuff, as always!

Thanks again - its great having someone out there to lean in times of pain!!!