Thread: Anonymity

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

It is a good idea that Google blur faces and also obscure some writing in its street view system, but making a statue anonymous...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This brings to mind a quote once read of his that had to do with an unveiling, who knows it could have been this very one.

On being told by a curvaceous female fan at the unveiling of a his sculpture

"Mr Churchill, I want you to know that I got up at dawn and drove a hundred miles for the unveiling of your bust", Winston replied, no doubt with a twinkle in his eye:

"Madam, I want you to know that I would happily reciprocate the honour"

By the way, I love how they cleared out the name on the statue as well. Very thorough these Google folks.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah yes.

Some of the famous Churchill quotes.

Lady Astor- Why Sir Churchill you are drunk!
    Churchill- And you are ugly, but I shall be sober in the morning!

Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison."
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it."
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Churchill (true) story warning!!

Churchill was MP for Dundee (a city noted for its large number of pubs) for 14 years until 1922.

While he was here he was universally disliked (by the working classes, including my granny), his main saving grace being that he was hardly ever here

In 1922 his seat was taken by Temperance candidate (Labour Prohibitionist) Edwin Scrymgeour (the only Prohibitionist ever elected in British parliamentary history).

Churchill swept out of town vowing to see the grass grow in it's streets, and refused to accept the freedom of the City when it was offered in 1943.

Granny always said he was "an awfy man, nivver liked him"
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='773205' date='01-May-2009 00:48']Granny always said he was "an awfy man, nivver liked him"[/quote]
    Then it was fortunate that he had Second-World-War-winning qualities!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Morning all

When I married my wife in 1976 it was traditional to send telegrams to be read at the reception. One of my then Directors from work was a bit of a Churchill buff and loved quoting the great man.

Our wedding telegram from him read

"Steve and Lesley, remember what Churchill said in his finest hour, it will be long, it will be hard, but there will be no withdrawal"

It still makes me smile now

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)