2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there,

I have given up trawling (unsuccessfully) through the thousands of google results about MSO2007 Compatibility Pack.

We are going to roll the Compatibility Pack out to our users and I basically want to find out what the known issues are - for example I have heard that converting 2007 spreadsheets back to 2003 can potentially result in content being lost.

If anyone can impart any wisdom I'd be most grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Violet

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='violet' post='772897' date='29-Apr-2009 10:17']Hi there,

I have given up trawling (unsuccessfully) through the thousands of google results about MSO2007 Compatibility Pack.

We are going to roll the Compatibility Pack out to our users and I basically want to find out what the known issues are - for example I have heard that converting 2007 spreadsheets back to 2003 can potentially result in content being lost.

Thanks in advance,

Violet[/quote]

The biigest thing you need to watch for is using Office 2007 features that are not in Office 2003. You should thoroughly review the topics at Differences in the 2007 Office system.

You should consider Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='violet' post='772897' date='30-Apr-2009 01:17']Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Violet[/quote]
    Hi Violet,

IMHO, the MSO 2007 Compatibility Pack should only be necessary for the users of previous Office versions if they need to work with Office 2007 files they've received from Office 2007 users. It shouldn't be thought of as extending the capacity of previous Office versions.

As for your concerns, yes, converting 2007 spreadsheets back to 2003 can result in content being lost. That will happen if the Excel 2007 workbook uses anything outside the 255 columns and 65536 rows supported by Excel 2003 - anything outside that range will be lost. Similarly, if you open a Word 2007 file containing Content Controls, these will be inaccessible in Word 2003 (even with the Compatibility Pack) and will be converted to plain text if the file is saved in the 2003 format.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you guys, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought would be the case. I will check out those links and put together some comprehensive information for our users. We only intend to use the compatibility pack when clients/other parties send us 2007 file format and wish to make our users aware of any issues that could potentially arise.

I love this website!

Thanks again,

Violet