New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can ping our new server from a computer but when I type in the URL in the browser I get an error message -- it's just a generic error message, no description.

Thanks
    Hello, and welcome!

For me at least you are going to have to give some more information.
    I am assuming you can PING the server by name and also IP address.
    But what are you expecting to get when you put "the URL" into a browser? What URL is this? Browsers work on domain names...
    <puzzled>
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Correct. I can ping the server by name and IP address. Currently the only "thing" on the server is our website which does not come up. If I have IE up I can go to File/Browse and load the index file like that but I can't bring it up by typing in the URL. What gives???

[quote name='BATcher' post='772932' date='29-Apr-2009 14:39']Hello, and welcome!

For me at least you are going to have to give some more information.
    I am assuming you can PING the server by name and also IP address.
    But what are you expecting to get when you put "the URL" into a browser? What URL is this? Browsers work on domain names...
    <puzzled>[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='msrusnak' post='772937' date='29-Apr-2009 14:55']Correct. I can ping the server by name and IP address. Currently the only "thing" on the server is our website which does not come up. If I have IE up I can go to File/Browse and load the index file like that but I can't bring it up by typing in the URL. What gives???[/quote]
    You still need to answer Batcher's question about WHAT URL are you entering and from where are you making this entry? If you want to check the web page from a local computer TO a local server, I think you would need to enter the address of the index file on a hard drive, NOT a web URL.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I'm actually a graphic artist not a tech guy so I'm a little fuzzy on web stuff. Here's what I do know. The files for our website have been loaded on to the new server and when the URL -- www.aspo.army.mil -- is typed into the browser a generic error message occurs -- no error 404, etc. However, if you go to file in the browser and navigate to the index file it will come up. Does that make sense or am I still not addressing your questions enough???

[quote name='Bigaldoc' post='772988' date='29-Apr-2009 18:21']You still need to answer Batcher's question about WHAT URL are you entering and from where are you making this entry? If you want to check the web page from a local computer TO a local server, I think you would need to enter the address of the index file on a hard drive, NOT a web URL.[/quote]

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='msrusnak' post='773058' date='30-Apr-2009 09:13']OK, I'm actually a graphic artist not a tech guy so I'm a little fuzzy on web stuff. Here's what I do know. The files for our website have been loaded on to the new server and when the URL -- www.aspo.army.mil -- is typed into the browser a generic error message occurs -- no error 404, etc. However, if you go to file in the browser and navigate to the index file it will come up. Does that make sense or am I still not addressing your questions enough???[/quote]

This seems as though the web site is not properly setup in your web server software. I get a certificate error when I try to access it with IE8. Can you post a picture of the error you receive?

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too, Joe - with Firefox 3.0.10

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can access that website if you only type the URL as aspo.army.mil (omit the www).
    This is encrypted miltary site open to the public.