2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a list in Word with addresses, which are multi-line. When pasting into Excel, they divided each line into its own cell. I am open to other routes to do this, but so far, this was my intent:

In Word, I replacing hard returns with semicolons, which put the address text together into its own cell. I was going to do a Find-Replace but can't find the the replace symbol (in the dialog box). Using Excel 2007 (Compatibility Mode).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try using char(010)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='halfmybrain' post='772913' date='29-Apr-2009 17:38']I have a list in Word with addresses, which are multi-line. When pasting into Excel, they divided each line into its own cell. I am open to other routes to do this, but so far, this was my intent:

In Word, I replacing hard returns with semicolons, which put the address text together into its own cell. I was going to do a Find-Replace but can't find the the replace symbol (in the dialog box). Using Excel 2007 (Compatibility Mode).[/quote]

To replace the carriage return (or pilcrow) use the following in the Find and replace

Find ^p
    Replace ;
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that, it doesn't work. It just inserts the actual characters ^p into the text.
    There used to be a drop-down box in the Find-Replace dialog, with this option.
    I don't see it now.

[quote name='Jezza' post='772918' date='29-Apr-2009 17:14']To replace the carriage return (or pilcrow) use the following in the Find and replace

Find ^p
    Replace ;[/quote]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That didn't work, it simply put char(010) into the text.

[quote name='Zeno' post='772915' date='29-Apr-2009 16:43']try using char(010)[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming that you already replaced line breaks and/or paragraph breaks in Word with semi-colons, enter the following in the Replace dialog in Excel.

Find what: ;
    Replace with: Alt+010

Then click Replace All.

You must turn on Wrap Text in the Alignment section of the Home tab of the ribbon.

(If you wanted to know how to do something in Word, you should ask in the Word forum)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Worked fine! My problem was in my target, Excel; not my source, Word.

[quote name='HansV' post='772933' date='29-Apr-2009 18:40']Assuming that you already replaced line breaks and/or paragraph breaks in Word with semi-colons, enter the following in the Replace dialog in Excel.

Find what: ;
    Replace with: Alt+010

Then click Replace All.

You must turn on Wrap Text in the Alignment section of the Home tab of the ribbon.

(If you wanted to know how to do something in Word, you should ask in the Word forum)[/quote]