Thread: Data Cleansing

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a number of duplicate entries in a flat file which thanks to Hans I have now isolated. For example, I have 2 entries: name: Fred date of birth: 23 sep, 1969, address: anytown, one with say order 1: ice cream, order 2: bananas and the next with order 1: grapes, order 2: cream. These are in a flat file. What may be available to get these broke out so I only have one line for fred and his address, date of birth, then four lines of orders?

Many thanks, Darren.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would have thought you would have gone for 2 related tables. The fiirst being peoples names, ages, address etc, and 1 table being for orders. You would need a mainform where you could enter all the persons details and a subform accepting the order details. Might be wrong, but thats the way I would do it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ZOR' post='773081' date='30-Apr-2009 16:08']I would have thought you would have gone for 2 related tables. The fiirst being peoples names, ages, address etc, and 1 table being for orders. You would need a mainform where you could enter all the persons details and a subform accepting the order details. Might be wrong, but thats the way I would do it.[/quote]

Thanks for this Zor, I am up to speed with your suggestiont. What I am saying is that the data is already in one file (I ahve inherited from as spread sheet) and I need a way of sorting it into one to many tables without having to manually trawl through.

Thanks again, Darren.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    NormalizeDenormalize on Roger's Access Library shows how to do this using VBA, but the code will have to be customized for your situation.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='773148' date='30-Apr-2009 20:36']NormalizeDenormalize on Roger's Access Library shows how to do this using VBA, but the code will have to be customized for your situation.[/quote]

This is very good Hans

Thank you

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks also from me Hans, I always wondered if there was a way to do that, I had always slogged it through the long way. Regards