Thanks
    I found something strange in Windows 7: I have it on a drive all by itself. I have tried on a couple of occasions to set up the partitions the way I want them, and then direct Win_7 accordingly.

The set up has seemed to go OK, but both times, after installation, it hangs during startup on the "Hit any key to boot from CD" screen. If however, I just let Windows have the drive, and then (it tells me) it sets up special space, it boots fine. The reserved special space is on the front of the drive -- where I would put my "C" drive, and then it installs Windows into a "D" drive -- it looks like "C" from within Windows, but during a backup (with Acronis True Image) it shows as "D" with the "C" partition first on the drive.

Is there a reason this happens, or is it a quirk?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What are you using for a "Boot Manager"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='773286' date='01-May-2009 09:09']What are you using for a "Boot Manager"?[/quote]

I'm not Dave. This is the only O/S I have on this machine, so I just let Windows do it's thing.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773217' date='30-Apr-2009 23:31']I found something strange in Windows 7: I have it on a drive all by itself. I have tried on a couple of occasions to set up the partitions the way I want them, and then direct Win_7 accordingly.

The set up has seemed to go OK, but both times, after installation, it hangs during startup on the "Hit any key to boot from CD" screen. If however, I just let Windows have the drive, and then (it tells me) it sets up special space, it boots fine. The reserved special space is on the front of the drive -- where I would put my "C" drive, and then it installs Windows into a "D" drive -- it looks like "C" from within Windows, but during a backup (with Acronis True Image) it shows as "D" with the "C" partition first on the drive.

Is there a reason this happens, or is it a quirk?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]

What are you using to partition the drive?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773295' date='01-May-2009 09:52']What are you using to partition the drive?

Joe[/quote]

Joe:

I was using Acronis' Disk Director. It works in Vista fine. That's where I had originally set up the partitions. When I installed "7", I just reformatted what was there already.

Regards,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773312' date='01-May-2009 14:58']... When I installed "7", I just reformatted what was there already.[/quote]
    I almost hate to ask you this, Chuck, but why are you still agonizing over this beta when the RC will be here any day now and you're gonna have to start all over again? You do realize that, don't you? And who knows but the "wizards" at MS how much of what you've been busting buns on will still be there...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773312' date='01-May-2009 13:58']Joe:

I was using Acronis' Disk Director. It works in Vista fine. That's where I had originally set up the partitions. When I installed "7", I just reformatted what was there already.

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]

If you are starting with a clean install why not use Windows 7 to partition the disk? You ought to read Windows 7 setup secrets | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='773323' date='01-May-2009 12:19']I almost hate to ask you this, Chuck, but why are you still agonizing over this beta when the RC will be here any day now and you're gonna have to start all over again? You do realize that, don't you? And who knows but the "wizards" at MS how much of what you've been busting buns on will still be there...[/quote]

Al, I always (almost) hate to ask questions to start with! I suspect, as I know you are absolutely right, that, since I saw a similar version of this in Vista [where Vista was pretty finicky about partition setups] that I'm seeing this as something I should know and don't. Especially since it went through the entire install -- twice -- without a whimper, but then wouldn't run. I can't help but think that it may not be something that will be fixed, but rather something that just "is the way it is", and I just have to "deal."

Logic would tell me that that partition it sets up has startup information. That's fine, I can understand that. I do however think it's strange, after some 25+ years of Windows, that now they decide to even change drive letter assignments at installation, so that now my drive "C" is just "reserved" and I boot (?) from Drive "D". Although Acronis shows "C" as active, and NOT "D".

I guess I just find it all pretty strange Al. I suppose if I were TRULY calm and patient, I wouldn't run the beta to start with, now would I?"

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773327' date='01-May-2009 12:26']If you are starting with a clean install why not use Windows 7 to partition the disk? You ought to read Windows 7 setup secrets | Ed Bott's Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com.

Joe[/quote]

I'll give it a look Joe.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    that now they decide to even change drive letter assignments at installation, so that now my drive "C" is just "reserved" and I boot (?) from Drive "D". Although Acronis shows "C" as active, and NOT "D".
    Who is this "they" in your statement?

I have never seen an drive assignments changed at a install, that said, it has always been when installing a new OS, it will default to the "00" drive and NOT the "01" drive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='773362' date='01-May-2009 18:42']I have never seen an drive assignments changed at a install ...[/quote]
    How about ON BOOT, Dave? Many here have heard me say that I now run a triple-boot system with XP, Vista and the Win7 beta. I have all that on two internal SATA drives, the first of which came with this Dell a couple of years ago.

When I boot to XP, that "partition" takes the drive letter C: but if I boot to Vista or Win7 then THAT partition takes on the drive letter C:

The following two clips will illustrate what I see on my system. The first was made while in XP and the second was a screen print in Win7 beta. I have never had any partitioning problems throughout all of this and when the Win7 RC is available to me, I will wipe that partition and load it there.

[attachment=83557:2009_05_02_011216.png]

[attachment=83555:xxxxxxxxxx.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have never done a "triple-boot system", but yes, I have seen some "Boot Managers" always change the booted drive to C. This in turn will change the drive letters of all other drives.

One will see this a lot when using a "Linux" based OS in addition to a Windows OS. But it is using a BOOT Manager to control the boot drive.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='773415' date='02-May-2009 07:50']I have never done a "triple-boot system", but yes, I have seen some "Boot Managers" always change the booted drive to C. This in turn will change the drive letters of all other drives.

One will see this a lot when using a "Linux" based OS in addition to a Windows OS. But it is using a BOOT Manager to control the boot drive.[/quote]

I think that the element I noticed that you guys are not addressing is that outside of Windows -- using True Image for instance -- the Win_7 is actually on drive "D".

So then, what I'm hearing I think is to not concern myself with letter assignments outside of the particular O/S, and just adjust my TI to accommodate it.

Okay, I can do that.

Chuck