New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have just recently upgraded to MS Office SB 2007, and all is going well with one significant and frustrating exception relative to Outlook.

On four out of five instances of starting Outlook 2007, the following happens.

1. Outlook starts (slowly).
    2. It appears to be working normally.
    3. Suddenly, a Web browser window pops up: "Microsoft apologizes for the inconvenience caused by the error you just experienced. Please fill out and submit the following survey. The information you provide will help us find and fix this problem." [I've filled this out once, and attempted it a couple of additional times -- the survey-report window itself generated error messages when I tried to send a full dump of System Info in the text-input window asking for, well, system info. This is the link to the latest of these windows.]
    4. I Alt-Tab back to Outlook.
    5. I navigate to a mail folder/subfolder.
    6. I discover that the Reading Pane is broken; message content won't display therein, and what does appear are ghosts/leftovers from prior visible screens (parts of the Outlook Today pane, parts of the To-Do Bar if I restore and then minimize it, etc.). I can get rid of the video artifacts by navigating back to Outlook Today, but the Reading Pane won't work again until I've exited Outlook and done a soft restart of the system. (Outlook itself doesn't close properly when this happens; it leaves a ghost OUTLOOK.EXE process that lingers in Task Manager, and won't relaunch until I've gone in and ended that process.)

Everything else in Outlook works. I can send & receive email, use the Calendar and Contacts, etc. But the Reading Pane self-toasts on startup 80% of the time for no apparent reason.

System specs: It's an Acer Aspire E380 (Athlon dual-core CPU), 2GB RAM, onboard NVidia video, plenty of disk space, running Vista Home Premium (32 bit). Vista is fully patched; my default Web browser is Firefox (3.0.10). Outlook 2007 has Outlook Connector installed (12.0.6423.5000). Outlook 2007 itself is 12.0.6316.5000; Office 2007 shows as 12.0.6320.5000. I also have ScanSoft's PDF Converter Professional 4.1, which has inserted plugins into the Office apps. Note that I have not installed Service Pack 2 (that set of updates is just now making itself visible via Windows Update). The NVidia Control Panel reports a file version of 7.15.11.7530 for the assorted display .DLLs.

So, the questions:

• What's causing the MS error-reporting window to trigger in the first place? (While whatever it is may also be causing the Reading Pane crash, that can't be all it's doing, because there is no Reading Pane in the startup "Outlook Today" window/folder.)
    • What's wrong with the Reading Pane? I'd suspect a video-driver issue, except that absolutely nothing else is going wrong with any other application, and I have no reason to believe the driver files aren't up to date.
    • Are the leftover system processes directly related to the foregoing, or not?
    • Is installing SP 2 likely to make things better or worse?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.
    "What's loved, survives." (Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I've had the same experiences with Office 2007 and Windows XP. The pattern I found was that some occasional HTML messages would cause Outlook to crash. I could restart Outlook and the reading pane would have to again selected. I now have Vista x64 with Office 2007 and the problem has disappeared. I never found a cure, but just put up with it. I still get the occasional error message about Outlook hadn't been closed properly and needs to check the data file (XP and Vista).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='JC-Bunnell' post='773220' date='01-May-2009 01:43']Have just recently upgraded to MS Office SB 2007, and all is going well with one significant and frustrating exception relative to Outlook.

On four out of five instances of starting Outlook 2007, the following happens.

1. Outlook starts (slowly).
    2. It appears to be working normally.
    3. Suddenly, a Web browser window pops up: "Microsoft apologizes for the inconvenience caused by the error you just experienced. Please fill out and submit the following survey. The information you provide will help us find and fix this problem." [I've filled this out once, and attempted it a couple of additional times -- the survey-report window itself generated error messages when I tried to send a full dump of System Info in the text-input window asking for, well, system info. This is the link to the latest of these windows.]
    4. I Alt-Tab back to Outlook.
    5. I navigate to a mail folder/subfolder.
    6. I discover that the Reading Pane is broken; message content won't display therein, and what does appear are ghosts/leftovers from prior visible screens (parts of the Outlook Today pane, parts of the To-Do Bar if I restore and then minimize it, etc.). I can get rid of the video artifacts by navigating back to Outlook Today, but the Reading Pane won't work again until I've exited Outlook and done a soft restart of the system. (Outlook itself doesn't close properly when this happens; it leaves a ghost OUTLOOK.EXE process that lingers in Task Manager, and won't relaunch until I've gone in and ended that process.)

Everything else in Outlook works. I can send & receive email, use the Calendar and Contacts, etc. But the Reading Pane self-toasts on startup 80% of the time for no apparent reason.

System specs: It's an Acer Aspire E380 (Athlon dual-core CPU), 2GB RAM, onboard NVidia video, plenty of disk space, running Vista Home Premium (32 bit). Vista is fully patched; my default Web browser is Firefox (3.0.10). Outlook 2007 has Outlook Connector installed (12.0.6423.5000). Outlook 2007 itself is 12.0.6316.5000; Office 2007 shows as 12.0.6320.5000. I also have ScanSoft's PDF Converter Professional 4.1, which has inserted plugins into the Office apps. Note that I have not installed Service Pack 2 (that set of updates is just now making itself visible via Windows Update). The NVidia Control Panel reports a file version of 7.15.11.7530 for the assorted display .DLLs.

So, the questions:

• What's causing the MS error-reporting window to trigger in the first place? (While whatever it is may also be causing the Reading Pane crash, that can't be all it's doing, because there is no Reading Pane in the startup "Outlook Today" window/folder.)
    • What's wrong with the Reading Pane? I'd suspect a video-driver issue, except that absolutely nothing else is going wrong with any other application, and I have no reason to believe the driver files aren't up to date.
    • Are the leftover system processes directly related to the foregoing, or not?
    • Is installing SP 2 likely to make things better or worse?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.
    [/quote]

First, Sp-2 probably won't hurt but you should try to resolve this before installing SP-2. It may help the slow startup if you have a large data file.

1.) Have you tried running Help | Office Diagnostics?
    2.) Did it start immediately with Outlook 2007 or did it run OK for a while and just started recently?
    3.) Often Outlook issues are because of addins. Have you tried running without addins? Start | Run | c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\outlook.exe /noextensions. See Command-line switches for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online for more details.
    4.) Is this a stand alone install or do you connect to Exchange?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='mdenison' post='773258' date='01-May-2009 09:22']I'm afraid I've had the same experiences with Office 2007 and Windows XP. The pattern I found was that some occasional HTML messages would cause Outlook to crash. I could restart Outlook and the reading pane would have to again selected. I now have Vista x64 with Office 2007 and the problem has disappeared. I never found a cure, but just put up with it. I still get the occasional error message about Outlook hadn't been closed properly and needs to check the data file (XP and Vista).[/quote]
    I've not experienced the "reading pane problem" but I have, on occasion, experienced the "data file" problem. The latter is one of the problems that has supposedly been corrected with Office 2007 Service Pack 2. I installed this a few days ago, so I'll have to watch Outlook's behaviour for the next while to determine whether or not this has actually been fixed. All in all, SP2 seems to be pretty stable.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773266' date='01-May-2009 06:56']1.) Have you tried running Help | Office Diagnostics?[/quote]
    [blink] Didn't even realize that was there; I'm very new to Office 2007. It's running as I type this -- no, it's finished. Four out of six steps tested clean; the first diagnostic lists a "solution" -- which is to go right back to the Watson survey page and tell them about the crashes again, and the setup diagnostic says it repaired a corrupted or altered file. Disk, memory, compatibility, and update diagnostics all tested just fine.

Amusingly, the automated results page does attribute the crashes to Office itself in its generic third-person way.

2.) Did it start immediately with Outlook 2007 or did it run OK for a while and just started recently?
    Started immediately; I should have been clearer above that this is a very fresh installation.

3.) Often Outlook issues are because of addins. Have you tried running without addins? Start | Run | c:\program files\microsoft office\office12\outlook.exe /noextensions. See Command-line switches for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online for more details.
    Haven't tried this as yet. If the problems persist, I may simply uninstall both Outlook Connector (since I can get at my MSN mail via POP3 anyway) and the PDF converter (since Office 2007 now does at least some of this itself).

4.) Is this a stand alone install or do you connect to Exchange?
    Standalone; I'm a one-computer household (though I'm lusting after an Eee or something similar in the not-too-distant future).

Thanks for the tips -- with luck, the diagnostics may have licked the worst of this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='JC-Bunnell' post='773308' date='01-May-2009 13:43'][blink] Didn't even realize that was there; I'm very new to Office 2007. It's running as I type this -- no, it's finished. Four out of six steps tested clean; the first diagnostic lists a "solution" -- which is to go right back to the Watson survey page and tell them about the crashes again, and the setup diagnostic says it repaired a corrupted or altered file. Disk, memory, compatibility, and update diagnostics all tested just fine.

Amusingly, the automated results page does attribute the crashes to Office itself in its generic third-person way.

Started immediately; I should have been clearer above that this is a very fresh installation.

Haven't tried this as yet. If the problems persist, I may simply uninstall both Outlook Connector (since I can get at my MSN mail via POP3 anyway) and the PDF converter (since Office 2007 now does at least some of this itself).

Standalone; I'm a one-computer household (though I'm lusting after an Eee or something similar in the not-too-distant future).

Thanks for the tips -- with luck, the diagnostics may have licked the worst of this.[/quote]

With Office 2007 SP-2 output to PDF is builtin - no addons needed. If you problem persists trying running without addons before uninstalling anything. That is an easy test.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Progress report: the problem became more intermittent after the diagnostic run but didn't go away entirely; after awhile I ran Diagnostics again, and when those showed no other problems I gave in to a fit of unreasoning optimism and installed the Office SP2 service pack updates.

Wonder of wonders, the reading-pane problem evaporated.

With benefit of 20-20 hindsight, it looks to me as if the problem may have been some kind of version-compatibility issue between Outlook Connector (which immediately upgraded itself to an SP2 version number when I installed Office 2007) and Outlook generally (which didn't). Why that should have blown up the Reading Pane on executing a Send/Receive (which also looks like the catalyst with benefit of hindsight) is a mystery, but that's my best guess as to the cause of the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='JC-Bunnell' post='774453' date='09-May-2009 12:51']Progress report: the problem became more intermittent after the diagnostic run but didn't go away entirely; after awhile I ran Diagnostics again, and when those showed no other problems I gave in to a fit of unreasoning optimism and installed the Office SP2 service pack updates.

Wonder of wonders, the reading-pane problem evaporated.

With benefit of 20-20 hindsight, it looks to me as if the problem may have been some kind of version-compatibility issue between Outlook Connector (which immediately upgraded itself to an SP2 version number when I installed Office 2007) and Outlook generally (which didn't). Why that should have blown up the Reading Pane on executing a Send/Receive (which also looks like the catalyst with benefit of hindsight) is a mystery, but that's my best guess as to the cause of the problem.
    [/quote]

That is good news. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe