Thread: flakey printer

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guy's, long time reader, first time poster. Hope u experts can help. I am running XP-Sp3 with an
    HP deskjet printer. Lately the printer wants to turn on the power on it's own. I normally have it off unless
    in use. I've troubleshooted all I can to no avail, including an attempt to uninstall HP's device function's and software.
    When attempting I get an error msg for hpzscr01.exe asking to send to microsoft or not. I believe this has
    to do with an driver uninstall component. Any ideas anyone?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='texian1836' post='773257' date='01-May-2009 08:17']Hi guy's, long time reader, first time poster. Hope u experts can help. I am running XP-Sp3 with an
    HP deskjet printer. Lately the printer wants to turn on the power on it's own. I normally have it off unless
    in use. I've troubleshooted all I can to no avail, including an attempt to uninstall HP's device function's and software.
    When attempting I get an error msg for hpzscr01.exe asking to send to microsoft or not. I believe this has
    to do with an driver uninstall component. Any ideas anyone?[/quote]

Welcome to the Lounge!!

What model HP printer? Does "have it off" mean actually powered off or using power saving mode?
    Is it a networked printer or directly attached to the PC?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    hi joe, What I mean by pwer off is the main on/off button on the printer.
    It's an Hp Deskjet D2430, attached directly to the pc.

Lounger
    Thanks
    joe, when this problem started, I was attempting to print doc's. But no doc's would print. In the tray
    was an icon for doc's waiting to print , but I wasn't able to get it to print. Then, I started to troubleshoot.
    It suggested I uninstall the driver then reboot then re-install driver. But it seems it re-installed itself and started
    printing. A few days later while the system was idle, the printer started turning on the power by itself, although I
    would turn in it off again it will come back on. Only way to stop this is to unplug electrical cord. As I stated before,
    I went (into add/remove) to uninstall software then was going to re-install , but it will not remove. All I get is an error
    msg about the hpzscr01.exe. Hp does mention that anti-virus programs can interfere so I unstalled that and re-installed
    with no results.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='texian1836' post='773274' date='01-May-2009 09:48']joe, when this problem started, I was attempting to print doc's. But no doc's would print. In the tray
    was an icon for doc's waiting to print , but I wasn't able to get it to print. Then, I started to troubleshoot.
    It suggested I uninstall the driver then reboot then re-install driver. But it seems it re-installed itself and started
    printing. A few days later while the system was idle, the printer started turning on the power by itself, although I
    would turn in it off again it will come back on. Only way to stop this is to unplug electrical cord. As I stated before,
    I went (into add/remove) to uninstall software then was going to re-install , but it will not remove. All I get is an error
    msg about the hpzscr01.exe. Hp does mention that anti-virus programs can interfere so I unstalled that and re-installed
    with no results.[/quote]

You should try disabling your A/V and uninstalling the HP software while the A/V is disabled.

Is Uninstalling the Printer Software in Microsoft Windows the HP information to which you are referring?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    joe, thanks again for your last reply. I have already tried what you suggested, and the hp software still
    would not un-install.
    However, the main issue I had was the printer turning on the power on it's own. But since my last posting on this
    that issue seems to be solved. While I was working on other important business online a balloon msg popped up
    saying the computer had found new hardware, then it went away without any action from me. Since then, the power issue
    seems to be resolved ( I hope, time will tell). If so, I'm not going to be concerned about the un-install issue unless things
    change.
    However, Thanks for your response. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. As mentioned, was working on
    other business.
    Wish you and all the other loungers all the best.