5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We store our Word Statup templates under Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12. With Vista, those template always open as Read-Only in Word. I've re-set the Read Only property for the folder and parent folder, but the property for the templates themselves has the Read-Only checkbox cleared. But somehow the attribute always gets flipped back on.

Is Vista really this annoying, or is there a way to tame these security settings?

Thanks,
    Richard

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='richardbarrett' post='773273' date='01-May-2009 09:37']We store our Word Statup templates under Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12. With Vista, those template always open as Read-Only in Word. I've re-set the Read Only property for the folder and parent folder, but the property for the templates themselves has the Read-Only checkbox cleared. But somehow the attribute always gets flipped back on.

Is Vista really this annoying, or is there a way to tame these security settings?[/quote]

Program Files is specially protected under Vista. A program such as Word needs to be running as admin (or trusted installer) to be able to write in a folder under Program Files. You'd be better using "Program Data" or "C:\Users\username\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Office\ 12".

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand the thinking behind Vista security, but our network folks don't want multiple copies of Startup templates to accumulate on local PCs. There is another folder that contains Word documents and templates as well that we put under Office 12, and the code relies on Application.Path as the parent folder.

How does one get Word to run as Admin (or trusted installed)? Is it not sufficient that the login have Admin rights?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='richardbarrett' post='773300' date='01-May-2009 12:15']I understand the thinking behind Vista security, but our network folks don't want multiple copies of Startup templates to accumulate on local PCs. There is another folder that contains Word documents and templates as well that we put under Office 12, and the code relies on Application.Path as the parent folder.

How does one get Word to run as Admin (or trusted installed)? Is it not sufficient that the login have Admin rights?[/quote]

It all depends on what permissions are set on the folders. It is easy to check and set the security permissions on the folder(s).

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='richardbarrett' post='773300' date='02-May-2009 03:15']I understand the thinking behind Vista security, but our network folks don't want multiple copies of Startup templates to accumulate on local PCs. There is another folder that contains Word documents and templates as well that we put under Office 12, and the code relies on Application.Path as the parent folder.

How does one get Word to run as Admin (or trusted installed)? Is it not sufficient that the login have Admin rights?[/quote]
    Hi Richard,

Why is having the templates open as 'Read Only' a problem? I'd have thought this was a good idea for a global template, since it prevents unauthorised changes.

For anyone who has authority to change the template, running MS Word as Administrator is as simple as right-clicking on the Word icon and choosing 'Run as Administrator' - after which they'll be prompted for the Admin password.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='773361' date='01-May-2009 18:37']Hi Richard,

Why is having the templates open as 'Read Only' a problem? I'd have thought this was a good idea for a global template, since it prevents unauthorised changes.

For anyone who has authority to change the template, running MS Word as Administrator is as simple as right-clicking on the Word icon and choosing 'Run as Administrator' - after which they'll be prompted for the Admin password.[/quote]

Hi Paul,

I was thinking about the annoyance of read-only when I wanted to modify the templates myself. Your info on how to run Word as administrator answers my question about how to do that.

Thanks.
    Richard