Thanks
    I may be the only one in the world that ever wanted to change the items in the "New" listing. If though, you happen to be one that does, like myself, want to clean up that menu a bit, or add special items that you use constantly, the dialog below tells how I found to do it. I add this as a (tiny) payback for all the help I have received over the years from those who support the WOPR DB complex. That being said, here's the explanation:

In the context menu, of the Desktop for instance, thre is a "New Submenu, containing items that can be created (New Text Document, etc.).

To add one of these, go to the extension in HKEY_CLASES_ROOT, the dot extension" line (to the ".txt" [no quotes] line for Text Files for instance), add a key "ShellNew (left pane), and then in the right pane, a new text string NullFile.

That will do it. No that item will be part of the "New" context menu.

I you want to remove any item, you go the that item's extension in HKEY_CLASES_ROOT, just like above, but this time you remove the "ShellNew" item.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Your's truly has found out the hard way on more than one occasion about removing items from the registry that you think you will never need again, and then not remembering the detains of the entry if you ever want to put it back, so

BACK UP YOUR EGISTRY before starting this exercise!

Also, I have found that, if you want to remove an item from the "New" listing, you don't even need to remove it. Rather, you can just put a "." ( a "period" - no quotes) in the front wend of ShellNew, so that it shows as ".ShellNew" -- again, add no quotes. The item will be gone from the New list, but retained if needed later.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773299' date='01-May-2009 13:14']I may be the only one in the world that ever wanted to change the items in the "New" listing ...[/quote]
    That's nice, Chuck, but probably not for the user who isn't familiar with mucking around in the registry as you are.

TweakUI makes it a lot easier:

[attachment=83554:2009_05_01_163349.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='773338' date='01-May-2009 13:38']That's nice, Chuck, but probably not for the user who isn't familiar with mucking around in the registry as you are.

TweakUI makes it a lot easier:[/quote]
    Al, which TweakUI is there for Win_7 -- or Vista for that matter?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773419' date='02-May-2009 12:04']Al, which TweakUI is there for Win_7 -- or Vista for that matter?[/quote]
    Well Chuckie dear, you posted in the General Windows forum, not Vista or Beta! I'll have to boot my Vista to see if WinBubble has anything along these lines. Win7 is BETA and I ain't worried about such "fine arts" enhancements in a beta product, especially when I know I probably can't influence the manufacturer to include them!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='773427' date='02-May-2009 11:39']Well Chuckie dear, you posted in the General Windows forum, not Vista or Beta! I'll have to boot my Vista to see if WinBubble has anything along these lines. Win7 is BETA and I ain't worried about such "fine arts" enhancements in a beta product, especially when I know I probably can't influence the manufacturer to include them![/quote]

I'm so sorry my dearest Al. You have to forgive my aging and decrepit brain. I try, but I'll do better, I promise!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I just can't remember if WinBubble has any such feature.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773419' date='02-May-2009 23:04']Al, which TweakUI is there for Win_7 -- or Vista for that matter?[/quote]

As far as I am aware, Microsoft has not released TweakUI for Vista. There is a free 'alternative' called TweakVI Basic, which can be downloaded from here.

I'm not using Vista but I have used it to set up a colleagues Vista machine. It seems to have a vast range of capabilities, but I don't recall if it includes the function referred to by Dear Al.

Chris

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='773419' date='02-May-2009 12:04']Al, which TweakUI is there for Win_7 -- or Vista for that matter?

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]
    For information:
    I have WinBubbles running on both my XP and Vista partitions without any problems.

I haven't bothered to try it on the Win7 partition, since it's a beta version. Maybe after this Tuesday when the RC version is released, I MIGHT give it a shot?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='773532' date='03-May-2009 12:13']For information:
    I have WinBubbles running on both my XP and Vista partitions without any problems.

I haven't bothered to try it on the Win7 partition, since it's a beta version. Maybe after this Tuesday when the RC version is released, I MIGHT give it a shot?[/quote]

OK, thanks guys...