Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been developing Access apps for over 10 years and this is the first time this happened.

    I have 2 db files, 1 for the data and 1 for everything else. I usually have them both open so I can go back and forth making modifications to both. Just today, when running some form code that runs a query on data in the data db, I got the following error message:

    "The database has been placed in a state by user 'admin' on machine 'Inspiron-8600' that prevents it from being opened or locked."

    The app is written using Access 2002. Sometimes I inadvertintly open it and make mods in 2003 but this has never been an issue before. Don't know if that could be related to the problem.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    lance

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    This has been "standard" behavior since Access 2000 - when you start editing the design of a database object, you lock the database exclusively, so other databases cannot link to it. To solve the problem, save the design changes, then close and reopen the database.

    I guess you've been lucky until now.

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Post

    You must have misunderstood my post. Sorry if I was not clear enough.

    Since version 2000 Access prevented you from editing objects if another copy of the same db was open.

    That is not the case here. I'm talking about 2 different db's that have linked tables between them. It always let me have the front end db as well as the back end data db open and I could make changes to either without issue - (providing the specific object being modified was not open at the time in the other db).

    Actually, since I placed the original post, I repaired and comprressed both dbs using Access 2002 and that seems to have corrected the problem. I currently have both dbs open and I've been making changes to both. I'm smiling once again.

    Thanks,
    Lance

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    I apologize for misreading your post. Glad the problem has been solved.

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hans;

    I'm just glad you're here. You've gotten me out of trouble many, many times in the last several years.

    I work alone out of my home with no one else to talk to, no one to talk through problems with - it gets quite frustrating at times. You've always come through for me.

    Thanks VERY much.
    Lance

  6. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hans;

    A follow-up to last weeks 2 dbs editing problem - This is strange and has been happening lately - I made a copy of my front end db and now when I atempt to open it I get a messge that it's read only and I can't make any changes. I can't even delete the db outside of Access. I tried repairing it but it won't let me since it's read only. The Read-Only and Hidden properties are unchecked. I get a message that the db is in use. I rebooted and still the same problem. Any ideas?

  7. #7
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Has an .ldb file with the same name as the database been left behind in the folder that contains the database? If so, try to delete that.

    There's a free utility UNLOCKER that usually helps to solve persistent "the file is in use" problems.

  8. #8
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There was no lock file for this db.

    I downloaded the UnLocker program you suggested. It was not able to unlock the db but it listed the Process that lwas ocking it. I have some backup s/w (Memeo) that must have been backing up the original file before I copied it to the new file. Somehow Memeo had it locked. I was able to shut down Memeo and that solved the problem.

    Once again,

    Thanks for all your help.

    Lance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •