Thread: WOPR?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I always thought that I knew what WOPR was about.

But according to wikipedia it's not what I thought
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='773779' date='05-May-2009 04:15']I always thought that I knew what WOPR was about. But according to wikipedia it's not what I thought [/quote]
    There is no Wikipedia entry for Woody's Lounge, nor for Woody Leonhard, nor for askwoody.com, though there are references to his published work. Perhaps Woody wants it that way?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='773816' date='05-May-2009 13:23']There is no Wikipedia entry for Woody's Lounge, nor for Woody Leonhard, nor for askwoody.com, though there are references to his published work. Perhaps Woody wants it that way?[/quote]

Or maybe this is what Woody is secretly up to

[attachment=83629:shallweplayagame.wav]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='773816' date='05-May-2009 18:23']There is no Wikipedia entry for Woody's Lounge, nor for Woody Leonhard, nor for askwoody.com, though there are references to his published work. Perhaps Woody wants it that way?[/quote]
    Wikipedia being what it is, you could write entries on those topics if you wanted to.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='773979' date='06-May-2009 21:28']Wikipedia being what it is, you could write entries on those topics if you wanted to.[/quote]
    ...but you would have to be sure to establish that they clearly satisfy the notability guidelines. While Woody may be a prolific writer, has anybody published a book or journal article about him in a reliable source?
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Thanks
    [quote name='Waggers' post='774087' date='07-May-2009 13:54']...but you would have to be sure to establish that they clearly satisfy the notability guidelines. While Woody may be a prolific writer, has anybody published a book or journal article about him in a reliable source?[/quote]
    Perhaps at least the Lounge itself is notable.

The point about being written about in a reliable source is interesting. That means that to qualify to be included in Wikipedia, a topic has to be written about somewhere else first. Wikipedia could, on that basis, never be the first to write about something.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='774139' date='07-May-2009 10:51'][/quote]
    Which reminds me: http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=7ec2b0d...2e1ce12cdb4a0d4
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='774139' date='07-May-2009 17:51']Perhaps at least the Lounge itself is notable.

The point about being written about in a reliable source is interesting. That means that to qualify to be included in Wikipedia, a topic has to be written about somewhere else first. Wikipedia could, on that basis, never be the first to write about something.

Ian[/quote]

Yes, that is indeed Wikipedia policy - Wikipedia does not publish original research or original thought. It does have sister projects for such things, like Wikinews (a project to create a multilingual free content dictionary in every language), Wikibooks (aims to build a collection of free e-book resources, including textbooks, language courses, manuals, and annotated public domain books), Wikisource (a collection of texts that could be distributed as free and open content) and Wikiversity (a project dedicated to learning materials and learning communities, as well as research). More details here.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Waggers' post='774251' date='08-May-2009 02:53']Yes, that is indeed Wikipedia policy - Wikipedia does not publish original research or original thought.[/quote]
    Hmmm, very interesting and educational. All this time I didn't know that about being written elsewhere. I suppose folks then need to be careful about the "street" use of the term "Wiki" for it obviously doesn't point to Wikipedia in this case:

[attachment=83662:2009_05_08_060345.png]

That clip is from one of our favorite "whois" sources at DomainTools.Com where I looked up my web domain. Note the reference to "Wiki" at the bottom which does NOT lead to Wikipedia as one might think, but rather to this page: AlHoffman.org - Personal site of the Hoffman family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774266' date='08-May-2009 04:12']I suppose folks then need to be careful about the "street" use of the term "Wiki" for it obviously doesn't point to Wikipedia in this case.[/quote]
    To put it another way, Wikipedia is a wiki, but not all wikis are Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
    UTC -7ąDS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='774145' date='07-May-2009 19:12']Which reminds me: http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=7ec2b0d...2e1ce12cdb4a0d4[/quote]
    Since I don't like Wikipedia I found this "tidbit" quite amusing, though it is sad that it ended up in the obituaries.

The Guardian: Open door: The readers' editor on ... web hoaxes and the pitfalls of quick journalism

And the student who did the edit wrote in the Irish Times the other day.

The Irish Times Thu, May 07, 2009: Lazy journalism exposed by online hoax

Wikipedia's biggest (and perhaps only) advantage is that it is free to use, without charge; you can send a link to anyone. But the negative aspects are almost too many to mention.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='774417' date='09-May-2009 15:49']Wikipedia's biggest (and perhaps only) advantage is that it is free to use, without charge; you can send a link to anyone. But the negative aspects are almost too many to mention.[/quote]I like that, because of its nature, I can drill down to a level of detail I can't anywhere else.

I'm very unlikely to find a discussion of the local shopping centre in Encyclopedia Britannica, but I can in Wikipedia. And it will give me a viewpoint of the local area. It may not be accurate, but it is a starting point, however subjective. A subjective viewpoint can be good for what I want. Is that a good area to start a business?

The answers I've had back have been good- even though, in something as micro as that, answers are not subject to the same level of scrutiny as other higher level subjects.

I saw an interview on Oz TV with the founder of Wikipedia. It was interesting. He had his laptop with him (on his lap, nno desks to help him). The interviewer told him that the artical had several inaccuracies, some rather important. He looked very uncomfortable- and stated that he would be sure, before being interviewed again, to check the veracity of reports on the interviewer
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.