Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Start at Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program. Be sure to read Windows 7 Release Candidate Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and How to install the Windows 7 Release Candidate.

NOTE: It is still pre-release software. Therefore, data loss may occur. Do NOT run it on a machine that is critical to you or your organization.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773793' date='05-May-2009 14:44'][/quote]
    I would add that the 32-bit download with the snappy filename 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso is 2.36 GB in size. The download seems to be able to use up to 4 "connections", thus giving me a download speed of almost exactly 1 MB/s for the first 1.6 GB - until my ISP cottoned on to the fact that huge amounts of data were being downloaded, and they throttled this rate down to about 250 KB/s...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='773828' date='05-May-2009 14:53']... giving me a download speed of almost exactly 1 MB/s for the first 1.6 GB - until my ISP cottoned on to the fact that huge amounts of data were being downloaded, and they throttled this rate down to about 250 KB/s...[/quote]
    In my (ISP) case, the download ran at about 500 KB/s in its entirety. I had to leave while it was running so I don't know how long it took to complete. Now, on to burning the .ISO to disk.

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='773793' date='05-May-2009 09:44']Start at Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program. Be sure to read Windows 7 Release Candidate Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and How to install the Windows 7 Release Candidate.

Joe[/quote]
    I am DL the RC copy of Win 7 right now, and will burn it to a DVD.
    As most know, I triple boot XP, Vista and WIN 7. MS recommends a clean install of RC, if the beta version is now installed.

I'm looking for the best way to accomplish this RC install and keep the 3 boot partitions as I now have.

I plan on using Easy BCD utility to remove the Beta version, format the existing Win7 partition and then Custom install the RC on the newly formatted Win 7 partition. ( which SHOULD give me back my triple boot )

Are there any tips, clips or suggestions to do this in an easier or better way?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='773834' date='05-May-2009 16:29']Are there any tips, clips or suggestions to do this in an easier or better way?[/quote]
    I just ran my usual XP boot, Bob, and had Windows Explorer quick format my H: drive where Win 7 sits. I then inserted the DVD and told it to install to the H: drive and my triple boot ran without a problem. The thing you have to watch out for is DON'T take the DVD out of the drive, but ignore the message on re-start to boot from DVD. When your boot screen comes up, choose Win7, no matter how many reboots it does. It won't look like what you're used to. In my case it said "Previous Windows" installation instead of XP, but I kept choosing Win7. When I got through, I booted XP and used Vista Boot Pro to change the names of all triple boot and so far I'm OK.

Now I've got to reboot to Win7 and see if it recognized my sound card which the beta never did and I didn't try to solve it, but now I must do so.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Footnote. Win 7 RC still does not recognize my sound card and I can't figure out what to do about it, so I'm off on a witch hunt.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='773843' date='05-May-2009 17:19']I just ran my usual XP boot, Bob, and had Windows Explorer quick format my H: drive where Win 7 sits. I then inserted the DVD and told it to install to the H: drive and my triple boot ran without a problem. The thing you have to watch out for is DON'T take the DVD out of the drive, but ignore the message on re-start to boot from DVD. When your boot screen comes up, choose Win7, no matter how many reboots it does. It won't look like what you're used to. In my case it said "Previous Windows" installation instead of XP, but I kept choosing Win7. When I got through, I booted XP and used Vista Boot Pro to change the names of all triple boot and so far I'm OK.

Now I've got to reboot to Win7 and see if it recognized my sound card which the beta never did and I didn't try to solve it, but now I must do so.[/quote]
    OK, that was pretty painless!
    Used your method and it worked fine. triple boot still intact and seems all drivers are installed OK.

Just to be the known PITA, that I am, I also went ahead and used my method too.
    That also worked out good! So, take your choice. ( basically, I think they are about a different route to the same objective )
    Now have to mess around and see what, if any, big changes there are in the Beta and RC.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='773828' date='05-May-2009 20:53']I would add that the 32-bit download with the snappy filename 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso is 2.36 GB in size. The download seems to be able to use up to 4 "connections", thus giving me a download speed of almost exactly 1 MB/s for the first 1.6 GB - until my ISP cottoned on to the fact that huge amounts of data were being downloaded, and they throttled this rate down to about 250 KB/s...[/quote]
    It is a bit smaller than the Beta (32-bit), and who expected a 500 MB ISO file for Windows 7, or smaller chunks to download, say 12x200 MB?

You could be happy with that result (if it is to be interpreted as 1 Megabyte/s for the first half); my download went at around 315 kB/s, plus minus 50 kB/s, even though I connect to most of Europe at 16-17 Mbps, i.e. around 2 MB/s.