2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried searching for this here in the Lounge but did not get any hits (it is possible that I am not doing that right). Does anyone have recommendations for a "free" FTP software application. I googled this and got loads of hits but thought I would ask for your input.

Thanks,
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a couple that spring to mind. If you use Firefox, the FireFTP Add-on is a full featured FTP add-on that integrates an FTP client with Firefox. For a standalone application, I have used FileZilla and found that to be quite easy to use with a comprehensive range of features.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='773798' date='05-May-2009 09:46']I tried searching for this here in the Lounge but did not get any hits (it is possible that I am not doing that right). Does anyone have recommendations for a "free" FTP software application. I googled this and got loads of hits but thought I would ask for your input.

Thanks,[/quote]

I second the opinion on FileZilla - The free FTP solution.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, I agree, Filezilla is the way to go. Some text editors like Notepad++ have some FTP functionality built in, but I've found that somewhat limited (when I tried it, it did annoying things like only transferring half a file).
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='773798' date='05-May-2009 15:46']I tried searching for this here in the Lounge but did not get any hits (it is possible that I am not doing that right). Does anyone have recommendations for a "free" FTP software application. I googled this and got loads of hits but thought I would ask for your input.

Thanks,[/quote]
    I have been using WinSCP for some time and it does everything I need.

Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='773798' date='05-May-2009 15:46']Does anyone have recommendations for a "free" FTP software application.[/quote]
    When I used to do FTP using BATch files, I was quite happy with the Microsoft (command-line) FTP built into Windows -- and therefore Free...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='TonyE' post='773799' date='05-May-2009 10:55']There are a couple that spring to mind. If you use Firefox, the FireFTP Add-on is a full featured FTP add-on that integrates an FTP client with Firefox. For a standalone application, I have used FileZilla and found that to be quite easy to use with a comprehensive range of features.[/quote]

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like FireFox so I went ahead and installed that add-on. Works like a charm.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only hassles I've ever had with Filezilla were things that my behaviour compounded.

I used to ignore the warnings to update. And then I found that I wasn't uploading complete files. For some reason, it would just stop loading and my files only contained half of the data.

Updated to the latest version and problem solved. And now I keep updating whenever it recommends me to do so.

But they have been updating a bit lately and I find it a bit frustrating that I have finished getting my files ready and the last step in the day is to upload the files (before I retire to the patio with a galss of wine). And it wants to update !!! I know the delay is only a few minutes, but I'd rather that I be given the option to finish my task and then update.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='773798' date='05-May-2009 10:46']... recommendations for a "free" FTP software application.[/quote]
    I've been using Core FTP lite for several years now.
    I'm using version 1.3c to maintain about 8 different domains.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Try CoffeeCup.com for Free Version of FTP. ZillaClient and ZillaSever.