2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have a routine I could modify allowing me to map a network drive, run an Access application and then unmap the drive when I have finished.

I have a database which I want to run on a PC, but I don't want to leave other people with the option of using the data from the mapped drive when I have finished. I know they could remap it afterwards, but I'm not going to worry too much about that - though I guess if part of the mapping process could include a username/password that would help with the security.

Thanks in advance

John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Why is there a need to create a mapped drive? Is it a frontend/backend issue? If so, link using the UNC (ex. \\server\data\my.mdb).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaf90' post='773942' date='07-May-2009 02:46']Does anyone have a routine I could modify allowing me to map a network drive, run an Access application and then unmap the drive when I have finished.

I have a database which I want to run on a PC, but I don't want to leave other people with the option of using the data from the mapped drive when I have finished. I know they could remap it afterwards, but I'm not going to worry too much about that - though I guess if part of the mapping process could include a username/password that would help with the security.

Thanks in advance

John[/quote]

The old DOS command SUBST can be used to map and unmap drives.
    To unmap it again you run it again with the /d switch.

You can run a DOS command from with Access using the Shell Command.
    So this works for me:

shell("subst h: D:\john")

followed later by

shell("subst h: /d")
    Regards
    John