3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So there's a thin black horizontal line above the footnotes, and three space returns between it and the actual footnote(s). I want to delete two of these three returns, but I have no editing abilities on either the line or these spaces--my cursor simply doesn't show up when I click on them. I poked around the References>Footnotes tab but saw no applicable commands.

Anyone?

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='773964' date='06-May-2009 20:00']So there's a thin black horizontal line above the footnotes, and three space returns between it and the actual footnote(s). I want to delete two of these three returns, but I have no editing abilities on either the line or these spaces--my cursor simply doesn't show up when I click on them. I poked around the References>Footnotes tab but saw no applicable commands.

Anyone?[/quote]
    Go into Normal View instead of Print Layout View, then go to View - Footnotes.

You'll see a drop down menu which may say something like All endnotes. Click on it and instead change it to Endnote separator. This will allow you to change the line concerned, how much space it has before or after it and so on, delete the line, or whatever takes your fancy.

[attachment=83634:Endnote_separator.jpg]

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no Normal View option, just Print Layout, Full Screen, Web, Outline, and Draft. This is Word 2007, btw.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='773967' date='06-May-2009 20:29']This is Word 2007, btw.[/quote]
    Ah.

Go to Draft view, then press Alt+V, then F and you should see the same as in my screen shot.

(Found by Googling here).

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Draft view" is the same as "Normal view" -- it was renamed in Word 2007.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007" (available on Lulu.com)

[quote name='ben000' post='773967' date='06-May-2009 20:29']I have no Normal View option, just Print Layout, Full Screen, Web, Outline, and Draft. This is Word 2007, btw.[/quote]
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='773971' date='06-May-2009 20:44']"Draft view" is the same as "Normal view" -- it was renamed in Word 2007.[/quote]
    They coudn't leave well alone, could they? (Actually, normal view had long ceased to be normal, I suppose, so that particular change was probably overdue.)

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Ian,

As for "leaving well alone," some might say the same thing about many features that were changed in Word 2007, including AutoText, which has been thoroughly reworked and repackaged as Building Blocks / Quick Parts. (A feature that wasn't broken and didn't need fixing, in my humble opinion...) Not nearly as user-friendly now (among other problems, putting the entries in a gallery that can't be widened makes it very difficult to see everything), but it's possible to import old AutoText entries, and you still have the ability to expand the entries with the F3 key.

As for Draft view, the old Ctrl Alt N keystroke still works... the mnemonic just won't make sense to people who never used a previous version of Word.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007" (available via Lulu.com)
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com