New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    I have an excel spread sheet that contains part nos, description and prices.

i have also created a hyperlink to each part no to the relative data sheet in pdf format. those files are located on a shared drive and it works perfectly.

My question is if i want my staff to access it outside the office and lets say they dont have access to the net and hence the shared drive. Therefor i would like to know if its possible to import/upload those pdf attachments into excel so that they will always be accessible. i.e stored into the spread sheet itself.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Novel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Novel

You would need to make a folder that contains all of the PDF's on their own laptops (whatever they are using) and point your hyperlinks to the folder.
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't know if this will work in every environment, but at least at the environment where I'm currently working, we have Office 2003 as well as Acrobat Professional.

Here, with an Excel workbook open, you can use Insert > Object > Adobe Acrobat Document, and this will allow you to browse to the location of a PDF document, and click OK to embed it into the worksheet.

It is a little confusing, because it also opens the PDF in Acrobat itself, so you'd need to close Acrobat to return properly to Excel. You should then see the PDF document embedded in the worksheet.

To view the entire PDF, right-click on the object and choose Acrobat Document Object > Open.

This may only work though, in environments that have Acrobat Professional installed, but worth a try anyway.

Another issue would be how many PDF files you'd need to embed this way, and how large they are - this could quickly lead to an unstable Excel file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just had a chance to try this on a friend's PC, who has Excel 2002 and only Acrobat Reader. It works exactly the same.