Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE8 Problems

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also experienced problems after installing IE8 - a foolish move it would seem! I now cannot get a right mouse click on a file to show the properties, and Windows Explorer and Power Desk7 both crash with an IE8 error message to be sent to MS.

When not using a file manager, the right click operates normally.

In addition I now have an IExeplore.exe error messages coming up frequently at seemingly random times with the message "The instruction @ "0x5ff3b322" referenced memory at "oxffb09fb6" The memory could not be read"
    The detail of the application is given as APP Name explorer.exe MODVER 5.1.2600.5781 and the MOD NAME is KERNEL32.DL

I have disabled all IE8 addons, but this has not solved the problem.

I have also had a failure report on boot up of EULAL Launcher DSCA.EXE with a reference to MS.net Framework1 but this has not re-appeared so it may not be relevant to the main problem above.

Is it possible to revert to IE7 as this was fault free and much the same as the new version.

Regards DAVID MILLS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='dmills2533' post='774049' date='07-May-2009 01:47']I have also experienced problems after installing IE8 - a foolish move it would seem! I now cannot get a right mouse click on a file to show the properties, and Windows Explorer and Power Desk7 both crash with an IE8 error message to be sent to MS.

When not using a file manager, the right click operates normally.

In addition I now have an IExeplore.exe error messages coming up frequently at seemingly random times with the message "The instruction @ "0x5ff3b322" referenced memory at "oxffb09fb6" The memory could not be read"
    The detail of the application is given as APP Name explorer.exe MODVER 5.1.2600.5781 and the MOD NAME is KERNEL32.DL

I have disabled all IE8 addons, but this has not solved the problem.

I have also had a failure report on boot up of EULAL Launcher DSCA.EXE with a reference to MS.net Framework1 but this has not re-appeared so it may not be relevant to the main problem above.

Is it possible to revert to IE7 as this was fault free and much the same as the new version.

Regards DAVID MILLS[/quote]

This thread IE8 and Windows Explorer in Windows Update indicates the problem may lie with Powerdesk not IE. Note: in that thread there is mention of a Powerdesk patch.

If you still think you need IE7, uninstalling IE8 should automatically revert to IE7.

In the error you mentioned the application is explorer.exe. That is Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer.

1.) Did you update anything else at the same time? Or close to the same time?
    2.) What operating system are you running? Is it up-to-date with service packs & patches?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='774090' date='07-May-2009 13:13']This thread IE8 and Windows Explorer in Windows Update indicates the problem may lie with Powerdesk not IE. Note: in that thread there is mention of a Powerdesk patch.

If you still think you need IE7, uninstalling IE8 should automatically revert to IE7.

In the error you mentioned the application is explorer.exe. That is Windows Explorer not Internet Explorer.

1.) Did you update anything else at the same time? Or close to the same time?
    2.) What operating system are you running? Is it up-to-date with service packs & patches?

Joe[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe for the prompt reply.

The PD7 file manager was not installed when the right click problem was detected with Explorer.exe so I do not think that PD is a factor. As I have reported the installation of PD7 resulted in the same right click error with both file managers.

The Windows Explorer error relating to Kernel32.dll remains, and I guess this may be significant with the right click problem.

I am running XP with SP3, which is a fairly recent update. I have been using automatic updates with MS for some time, so I know the XP is up to date.

Over to you!

Regards DAVID

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmills2533' post='774233' date='07-May-2009 21:04']Thanks Joe for the prompt reply.

The PD7 file manager was not installed when the right click problem was detected with Explorer.exe so I do not think that PD is a factor. As I have reported the installation of PD7 resulted in the same right click error with both file managers.

The Windows Explorer error relating to Kernel32.dll remains, and I guess this may be significant with the right click problem.

I am running XP with SP3, which is a fairly recent update. I have been using automatic updates with MS for some time, so I know the XP is up to date.

Over to you!

Regards DAVID[/quote]

Windows Explorer errors that you describe are often the result of a bad shell extension. You can you a tool such as ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows to find and disable shell extensions. You can also use ShellMenuView - Disable/enable context menu items of Explorer to manage context menus.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Let's play detective.

There is a program called Revo Uninstaller which I use and I like very much, and which you may or may not have installed. It is FREE and it can be downloaded HERE.

Information doesn't come out of thin air, so the program must be getting it from some source, and if you know the source you may get it more directly. I don't know the source, but since I have Revo installed, I have no need for a shortcut other than idle curiosity as to where the information comes from. It's probably the registry, which Revo uses to advantage to accomplish its own work.

The information we want is DATE INSTALLED, which is given in a column in Revo. Click on the header of that column and all of your installed programs will be sorted according to the date they were installed. Find IE8 or any other installation that will help you date the problem, and begin examining the programs installed subsequent to (and shortly prior to) that date and look for LIKELY SUSPECTS. Creepy music is optional.

Now go back to ShellExView and test your suspects using that. You began with the luxury of having an important clew in saying that the troubles began with a certain installation. You are almost certainly wrong in suspecting IE8 or this forum would be packed with complaints. Revo gives you a timeline of installations, which lets you focus your attention on the period in which the event you specified occurred, and which you claim marked the onset of your troubles.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Peter,
    Thank you for your advice. I have downloaded REVO and this has enabled me to clean out a few things that were lurking around - Nortons for one! I very much appreciate your recommendation for REVO - vastly better that the Windows uninstall process and so much more powerful.

I have printed oit the REVO report in chronological sequence, and I have a problem in that I have had to re-install most of my non MS applications following a DELL site visit and a re-installation of Windows, which was done to fix an earlier BSOD episode. This means that I have downloaded 60 files in the period 23/4 to 11/05, which presents a difficulty in knowing exactly how to work through this long list.

You were quite correct in saying that IE8 was not guilty! I uninstalled IE8 and have re-installed IE7 and the right click problem remains!

At present I have disabled my start menu with MSConfig, and I have not had any abnormal boot ups or BSOD's. The remaining problem is the right click function with a file manager. Both Window Explorer and my preferred Power Desk 7 crash when I right click a file to see the properties, but this does not happen with a group of files in a folder which are in a Power Desk Archive format. Right click functions normally in other applications eg in a WordPerfect file selecting text and right clicking works normally.

I cannot identify exactly when this problem first appeared, but is somewhere after 23/04/09.

Can you offer any suggestion as to how I can fix this?

Regards DAVID MILLS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have moved this thread from the Internet Explorer forum to the Windows XP forum, as it is clearly not a problem with Internet Explorer.

From the symptoms you have described it is most likely that this is caused by a Windows Explorer Shell Extension. Try using Shell Extension Manager to disable context menu handlers one at a time to see which is causing the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='774801' date='12-May-2009 07:45']I have moved this thread from the Internet Explorer forum to the Windows XP forum, as it is clearly not a problem with Internet Explorer.

From the symptoms you have described it is most likely that this is caused by a Windows Explorer Shell Extension. Try using Shell Extension Manager to disable context menu handlers one at a time to see which is causing the problem.[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Stuart,

I have used Shell Ex View and have disabled each of four or five entries relating to Windows Explorer, and checked the right click function in both my file managers, but without sucess. I also looked to see if there were any entries quoting 'Get Properties' or something similar, but I could not find anything.

I assume that the disable function is applied automatically once you select it, so there is no need for a re-boot before checking the function.

Regards DAVID MILLS

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmills2533' post='774808' date='12-May-2009 04:07']Thanks Stuart,

I have used Shell Ex View and have disabled each of four or five entries relating to Windows Explorer, and checked the right click function in both my file managers, but without sucess. I also looked to see if there were any entries quoting 'Get Properties' or something similar, but I could not find anything.

I assume that the disable function is applied automatically once you select it, so there is no need for a re-boot before checking the function.

Regards DAVID MILLS[/quote]

See Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers for information on debugging strange right click behavior. NOTE: ignore the Windows Registry Optimizer picture and link. It is just a decptively placed ad.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Please try to avoid posting replies that consist ONLY of a quote containing the text you're replying to.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='774801' date='12-May-2009 14:45']I have moved this thread from the Internet Explorer forum to the Windows XP forum, as it is clearly not a problem with Internet Explorer.[/quote]

These problems exist under Vista where I cannot recall ever having seen them under XP. You might reconsider where best to locate the thread so as to benefit the most readers and draw on the largest pool of knowledge.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg' post='774906 View Post
    I am running XP with SP3

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I just might have it. It appears to be working in my case, and yes, I have the problem on one computer too.

Run Shexview (I right click all such programs so as to be sure of being an administrator), and see if you have SteganosShellExtension. If so, disable it and see if it makes a difference. Report all miracle cures to the forum so we can learn more about the disease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast