Thread: Run time error

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all, just joined sure many of you folk will have simple solution to my query. Have Windows XP. Every time I switch on Get message run-time error "53" file not found. No idea what this means. Any advice appreciated. Regards To all. Tony.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='cyberslayer' post='774052' date='07-May-2009 03:40']... Have Windows XP. Every time I switch on Get message run-time error "53" file not found. No idea what this means. Any advice appreciated...[/quote]
    Welcome to Woody's Lounge, Tony! After I finish writing this, I'm going to move your post since you said it concerns Win XP.

First of all, I haven't yet tried to lookup that error number, but do you have a good antivirus program running and do you scan with malware catching software, like Malwarebytes, to see if any bad guys have snuck in the door?

I also suggest you check you drive for integrity, as follows: Start, Run and in the run window enter CMD and press enter. When a DOS-like screen opens, type CHKDSK C: /F (doesn't have to be in caps; I only do it for clarity). Windows will tell you that you need to restart the machine, so you should do that and let the chkdsk command run on startup. When it finishes you won't be able to see what the results were, so...

After reboot, right-click My Computer and select Manage. You'll see, as in this attachment, Event Viewer. Expand the list and click the Application selection. You should be able to find in the time column a clear indication of when the machine restarted and shortly thereafter. there will be an entry call Winlogon. If you double-click that entry, you'll see the results of the CHKDSK. We're looking to make sure nothing is amiss with the drive or its data.

While you do those things, I'll go looking for the "53" to see what I can find...

[attachment=83640:2009_05_07_051030.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='cyberslayer' post='774052' date='07-May-2009 08:40']Hi all, just joined sure many of you folk will have simple solution to my query. Have Windows XP. Every time I switch on Get message run-time error "53" file not found. No idea what this means. Any advice appreciated. Regards To all. Tony.[/quote]
    This error appears to be a generic message Windows gives when an expected file can not be found.

Have you installed any new software recently? It may be that a program that did not install properly is trying to start at boot time but can't.

There are several methods of monitoring start-up programs which you will find mentioned here - but you can get a quick list by running
    msconfig
    from your Start > Run - from the System Configuration Utility you can deselect any (new) programs you don't want to start and see if the problem goes away.

[attachment=83642:x.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (16.9 KB, 0 views)