2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PPPoE wizard for broadband access

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by DaveA on 06-Sep-01 11:22.</P>Added hot link code

For those who use a broadband internet access that requires a PPPoE protocol, XP has a setup wizard in the control panel. Go to this link for setup instructions (provided by Earthlink).
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://help.earthlink.net/test/xmldocs/windows_XP/DUN/5841.test.html>http://help.earthlink.net/test/xmldocs/win.../5841.test.html</A>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PPPoE wizard for broadband access

I have a slightly different issue. RoadRunner folks tell me that my cable modem (Toshiba PCX1000) needs updated drivers for XP. RoadRunner isn't up to supporting it yet, and the Toshiba website doesn't have updated drivers for XP. Any thoughts or am I stuck waiting for RoadRunner and Toshiba to catch up?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, you are "stuck waiting for RoadRunner and Toshiba to catch up".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I called the Earthlink hotline for instructions on a download, and, while searching his db, the techie came across the link above. He was as surprised as I that the wizard was in XP. I do not think you can expect that kind of luck with RR, just have to wait and see. Them RR folks down here in Texas talk funny!

ileacy

Another quick solution is to use a Cable/DSL router. The PPPoE support on the router is independent of whatever OS the computers connecting to it are running.

This of course means extra expense, but, it also gives you extra security and ease of configuration. All the clients need is a basic DHCP setup (out of the box with WXP).