Thread: Word 2003

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am facing a problem related to the document map. The word document that I am working on, rightly shows only the headings, but evertime I re-open the document, I get a message at the status bar that Word is formatting the document. Afterwards, the complete document map gets corrupted; along the headings (From Heading 1 till Heading 9), I also see the content getting displayed in the document map.

I want to stop word from formatting the word on its own. However, I am aware about one workaround, that is whenever this message appears in the status bar, press the Esc key, till the document gets opened. This way, document map is saved from any such corruption.

Though, I am aware of this workaround but I want a permanent fix, as other people who would be using this document, might not be aware of this option and would feel that the document is either corrupt or is not formatted correctly.

Thanks.

Thanks
    [quote name='gurpreet' post='774060' date='07-May-2009 10:53']Hi,

I am facing a problem related to the document map. The word document that I am working on, rightly shows only the headings, but evertime I re-open the document, I get a message at the status bar that Word is formatting the document. Afterwards, the complete document map gets corrupted; along the headings (From Heading 1 till Heading 9), I also see the content getting displayed in the document map.

I want to stop word from formatting the word on its own. However, I am aware about one workaround, that is whenever this message appears in the status bar, press the Esc key, till the document gets opened. This way, document map is saved from any such corruption.

Though, I am aware of this workaround but I want a permanent fix, as other people who would be using this document, might not be aware of this option and would feel that the document is either corrupt or is not formatted correctly.

Thanks.[/quote]
    There is quite a lot of advice about the document map on the net. Try

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html

for instance, or Google "Document Map". The final paragraph in the page I have suggested says that Word is likely to guess which bits of your document are headings etc, and you can try to avoid it doing that by using proper heading styles, so that Word knows what the headings are, instead of it guessing that short lines or lines in bold must be headings.

I also wonder whether the cause of this behaviour is the Autoformat feature. Perhaps you could go to Tools - Autocorrect options ... and then the Autoformat and Autoformat as you type tabs, and uncheck some of the options there to see whether this prevents it happening.

Let us know how you get on, or come back and ask more.

Ian