Thread: HP 6988 Printer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As I mentioned in Post 773984 I haven't been able to find any "new" drivers for this printer, either at the HP pages or by Googling or by running the installer provided with the printer. I've tried both CDs that came with the printer (one for XP and another for Vista) and THEY check for updates and say there aren't any. But, they eventually fail.

My question is: Is there such a thing as XP compatibility mode in Win 7 and where do you find it? I tried right-clicking the HP setup.exe and the only thing I see there is a troubleshooter. When I try that it ends up with this:

[attachment=83644:Untitled.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Think you're in this territory!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774073' date='07-May-2009 12:11']My question is: Is there such a thing as XP compatibility mode in Win 7 and where do you find it?[/quote]
    Try this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774073' date='07-May-2009 06:11']As I mentioned in Post 773984 I haven't been able to find any "new" drivers for this printer, either at the HP pages or by Googling or by running the installer provided with the printer. I've tried both CDs that came with the printer (one for XP and another for Vista) and THEY check for updates and say there aren't any. But, they eventually fail.

My question is: Is there such a thing as XP compatibility mode in Win 7 and where do you find it? I tried right-clicking the HP setup.exe and the only thing I see there is a troubleshooter. When I try that it ends up with this:[/quote]

Is the issue with the driver or an addon HP app? If you have a Vista driver that works it should work in Windows 7. Have you tried exploring the CD to see if you can just install the driver only?

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='774104' date='07-May-2009 10:05']Try this.[/quote]
    That was it! Thanks very much, Leif! Got-R-Done and working fine. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had been there earlier but as you can see, the option was greyed out. What I didn't realize is the box at the bottom!

Joe, if you're also reading, thanks. I hadn't explored the CD any further than the SETUP.EXE so I don't know if there are any .INF files that I could have tried.

[attachment=83649:HP_Printer.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    My printer saga continues. I certainly hope that, as I've read here and elsewhere, that Win 7 RC is "talking" to Microsoft about individual user experiences. I got my printer installed using the Vista CD and its drivers by choosing compatibility mode as mentioned above. But ever since then, every time I boot Win 7 RC I get a message that my printer driver(s) have not been installed. Huh? The printer is listed as my default and I've test printed with it successfully!

This morning I ran Windows Update, more for the heck of it than anything else. It said there were TWO updates, one of which was an "optional" update for HP 6900 series printers. So I tried to let them (2) install and the printer driver FAILED. I figured it might be because I had already installed via compatibility mode. So, I UNINSTALLED the printer and tried the failed update again. In a millisecond it completed but my printer is NOT installed, so I tried to get Win 7 to install or search for the printer with no success.

I eventually re-installed it using the compatibility mode trick once more. That's where I stand and I'll have to see if the error pops up again on next reboot. For all I know all of this may be driven by the fact that I have the printer connected to my router as a "network" install.