Thread: XP question

Thanks
    How would I know if my XP OS is set up as NTFS or FAT32?
    Catz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check out the Properties of the disk!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='774133' date='07-May-2009 17:24']How would I know if my XP OS is set up as NTFS or FAT32?[/quote]
    A really geeky way would be to check if you have any file larger in size than 4 GB on the disk. "The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte (2^32−1 bytes)."
    If you do, then you have NTFS.
    If you don't, the question is moot - you could have either.

(I admit that Dave's way is probably quicker...!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='774138' date='07-May-2009 23:49']A really geeky way would be to check if you have any file larger in size than 4 GB on the disk. "The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte (2^32−1 bytes)."
    If you do, then you have NTFS.
    If you don't, the question is moot - you could have either.

(I admit that Dave's way is probably quicker...!)[/quote]

Thanks guys.

I checked mine with the "C" drive prop. and I have an NTFS set up on the whole drive.

Now If I wanted to change that to FAT32 would I have to completely reformat the "C" drive?

Or is there a way to partition some of the empty space on the drive to be used as FAT32 without disturbing the NTFS part?
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='774257' date='08-May-2009 10:16']Now If I wanted to change that to FAT32 would I have to completely reformat the "C" drive?[/quote]
    If you want it all FAT32, yes.

Or is there a way to partition some of the empty space on the drive to be used as FAT32 without disturbing the NTFS part?
    You could use a tool such as Partition Magic, but for that sort of money, it would be cheaper to pick up another (small) hard disk. (Note the size limitations here.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='774257' date='08-May-2009 05:16']Now If I wanted to change that to FAT32 would I have to completely reformat the "C" drive?

Or is there a way to partition some of the empty space on the drive to be used as FAT32 without disturbing the NTFS part?[/quote]
    Gosh, I wouldn't want to change an NTFS partition to FAT32, not in this day and age.

If you don't want to get "under the covers" to add another drive, I've found Paragon Partition Manager to be reliable ever since I switched from the Acronis product. It's also "only" $40 and (I think) worthwhile to have a 3rd party partitioning tool in your kit.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774275' date='08-May-2009 17:55']Gosh, I wouldn't want to change an NTFS partition to FAT32, not in this day and age.

If you don't want to get "under the covers" to add another drive, I've found Paragon Partition Manager to be reliable ever since I switched from the Acronis product. It's also "only" $40 and (I think) worthwhile to have a 3rd party partitioning tool in your kit.[/quote]

Thanks Guys.

My questions have been answered.
    Catz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a version of partition manager available here http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/22408...rtition-manager

Haven't tried it so YMMV
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='774331' date='08-May-2009 11:24']There is a version of partition manager available here[/quote]
    This is unbelievable! These jokers want $40 bucks for me to go from version 9 Pro to version 10 Pro and they're "giving away" some kind of aberration of that version? I'm very disappointed in the Paragon product now and I think I'll stick to my version 9 for awhile!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774383' date='08-May-2009 15:42']This is unbelievable! These jokers want $40 bucks for me to go from version 9 Pro to version 10 Pro and they're "giving away" some kind of aberration of that version? I'm very disappointed in the Paragon product now and I think I'll stick to my version 9 for awhile![/quote]

The free express version is fairly limited. From the link web page:

"This free software is designed for home users who just want to create or re-size existing partitions.Paragon Partition Manager 10 Express doesn’t contain much more functionality, although it does ship with recovery disc builder, so you can fix your machine if you experience problems partitioning a drive.

If you want to do more than create a new partition or resize existing partitions, you’ll need to step up to Paragon Partition Manager 10 Personal, which will delete or copy partitions, migrate drive contents to a new drive, perform a simple drive backup, enable you to create a multi-boot system (for multiple OS use) and much more."

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh and just for completeness.

When I had my Hard drive problem in February, I used Gparted live CD for my partitioning needs...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)