3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a chart in Excel but I cannot click on/edit each individual cell in the chart data table. There two column, eight rows apiece, of dollar amounts, and I need to center these amounts and decimal align them. I know how to do this in Word 2007, primarily because I have editing capabilities within each individual cell. Here, I am clueless, and Excels built-in help glossary returned no helpful answers to my question.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Not only can you not change the alignment you can't change the position of the data table (which used to be possible).
    I have a solution, however I will note that centering and decimal aligning are mutually impossible.

And the data table doesn't appear to update when the numbers change... or am I missing something?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='774143' date='07-May-2009 11:00']And the data table doesn't appear to update when the numbers change... or am I missing something?[/quote]

Oops had manual calculation turned on.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Should have clarified that I know which field within the Excel worksheet the numbers in the chart are drawn from, and was attempting to make the decimal alignment changes there, but no luck.

Thanks
    In short my answer is to create a picture of the data set, then paste the picture into the chart.

It can be positioned anywhere you wish on the chart and with a bit of fooling around you can get your centered decimal aligned data.
    Drawback: anytime your source data updates you will need to repaste the picture into the chart. As you can't create a linked picture in a chart.

(That is what I've been testing).
    If you need more detailed instructions - let me know.
    WebGenii Home Page

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='774143' date='07-May-2009 13:00']I will note that centering and decimal aligning are mutually impossible.[/quote]

That is not true unless XL2007 changed formatting options from previous versions. If you use a custom format with the question mark for the "optional characters", you can center and decimal align (it will be centered for the longest sequence): the format is a variant (depending on total characters and number of decimals):

???,??0.00

The question mark will leave the space for the charcter even if that character is not used in the value itself...

Steve