Lounger
    Thanks
    I spend quite a lot of time in forums. What gets up my nose more than anything is the way the connection is so often lost in the 2 or 3 minutes it takes me to type a post. I have minimised the annoyance by making sure I save to Notepad before hitting Enter, but there is still the irritating wait while IE7 decides it has lost the connection, followed by the often unsuccessful attempts to reconnect.

I thought this was a problem with my internet settings but the problem is much worse with certain sites, so I suspect it is the site letting go of me rather than me (my computer I mean) actively disconnecting from the site. The worst offender is a forum called wildaboutbritain.co.uk, which seems to break the connection after about 2 minutes of inactivity.

I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the site's attention. I know Wildaboutbritain's IP address (69.16.250.68), so could I run some sort of batch program to Ping it every few seconds? Or could I do something similar from a second tab in IE7?

Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='774167' date='07-May-2009 11:40']I spend quite a lot of time in forums. What gets up my nose more than anything is the way the connection is so often lost in the 2 or 3 minutes it takes me to type a post.[/quote]
    Yes, that is very annoying. But I'm not sure how you can determine that the board is terminating your session. A timeout of a few minutes would be abnormally short.

Is it possible that your IP address is changing, thus causing you to appear logged out? Perhaps not, if the page just times out. Similarly, it doesn't sound like your cookies have become corrupted or are being destroyed/blocked by an external process, although that is possible.

Perhaps there is a serious DNS problem with that site? Have you tried hardcoding that IP address into your hosts file?

Lounger
    Thanks
    jscher, I'll try your idea of putting the site's IP address in my hosts file.

It can't be my own IP address changing can it? I was under the impression that when you logged on your ISP assigned you an address that you kept for the duration of the session.

TC

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried jscher's suggestion of hard coding the IP address into my HOST file but unfortunately it doesn't seem to make any difference, connection still gets lost after 2 or 3 minutes. Going back to my first post, does anyone have any comments on the feasibility of pinging the site from another tab...or similar.

I've had another thought; I've been using a Linksys WAG325N router and Devolo dlan 200 AV homeplugs for nearly 2 years but I've never upgraded the drivers. Is it worth trying this? I generally don't touch drivers unless there's a good reason for doing so.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='774716' date='11-May-2009 14:25']I've tried jscher's suggestion of hard coding the IP address into my HOST file but unfortunately it doesn't seem to make any difference, connection still gets lost after 2 or 3 minutes. Going back to my first post, does anyone have any comments on the feasibility of pinging the site from another tab...or similar.

I've had another thought; I've been using a Linksys WAG325N router and Devolo dlan 200 AV homeplugs for nearly 2 years but I've never upgraded the drivers. Is it worth trying this? I generally don't touch drivers unless there's a good reason for doing so.[/quote]

Updating the drivers may help. What kind of connection do you have to your ISP? Any power problems recently? Do you have a space NIC you could try?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, I went into Google to look up 'space NIC' then realised it must be a typo for spare NIC!

The computer I'm typing on now has a cheap NIC card but I get the same problems with another computer which has (I'm pretty sure) a better quality one which came with the computer (by Mesh Computers...a reputable firm in UK). So it's unlikely to be the NIC and I don't have a spare anyway. I will try updating the drivers...I've always shied away from that kind of thing but there's nothing to lose.

I haven't had power problems, by the way.

TC

Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='774857' date='12-May-2009 12:56']Hi Joe, I went into Google to look up 'space NIC' then realised it must be a typo for spare NIC!

The computer I'm typing on now has a cheap NIC card but I get the same problems with another computer which has (I'm pretty sure) a better quality one which came with the computer (by Mesh Computers...a reputable firm in UK). So it's unlikely to be the NIC and I don't have a spare anyway. I will try updating the drivers...I've always shied away from that kind of thing but there's nothing to lose.

I haven't had power problems, by the way.

TC[/quote]

I THINK what Joe was asking ( What kind of connection do you have to your ISP? ) is, Are you on a dial up connection or DSL or Cable or what?
    Those symptoms sure sound like ISP dial up timeouts to me.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops, forgot to answer that bit. I have a broadband connection provided by Tiscali