Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm in a Windows Sever 2003 environment.

There's a (sadly necessary) service that runs on my server that uses up an awful lot of the CPU time, so I've set it to run between 11 PM and 4 AM. This morning I noticed that the server seemed a bit sluggish so I checked on Services to see if the annoying service was running. The information I got was ambiguous. In the upper left hand corner of the Services dialogue box it said Start this service (leading me to believe that the service was stopped) on the other hand, under Status it said "Started."

Which of these two should I believe?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='774332' date='08-May-2009 10:27']I'm in a Windows Sever 2003 environment.

There's a (sadly necessary) service that runs on my server that uses up an awful lot of the CPU time, so I've set it to run between 11 PM and 4 AM. This morning I noticed that the server seemed a bit sluggish so I checked on Services to see if the annoying service was running. The information I got was ambiguous. In the upper left hand corner of the Services dialogue box it said Start this service (leading me to believe that the service was stopped) on the other hand, under Status it said "Started."

Which of these two should I believe?[/quote]

Seems as though you started the services applet just at a transition point for the service. What happens if you referesh? Did you use Task Manager to see what was using the CPU?

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='774332' date='08-May-2009 16:27']Which of these two should I believe?[/quote]
    The correct answer is probably "the one which is true"!
    In this apparently anomalous condition, is the service using CPU time and/or are the I/O counts increasing?
    Occasionally I have to restart a specific service, and I have found that on occasion the restart command seems to 'hang' after the service has been stopped and while performing the start operation. (In fact the restart had worked.)
    You will be aware of several command line utilities which report on the status of a service, notably the built-in SC and Mark Russinovich's PsService - do they offer any enlightenment in this situation?
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='774338' date='08-May-2009 15:59']You will be aware of several command line utilities which report on the status of a service, notably the built-in SC and Mark Russinovich's PsService - do they offer any enlightenment in this situation?[/quote]

Actually, I wasn't aware of these utilities, but that's what Google is for. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've solved the problem by starting and stopping the service (it no longer says "Started") and I think I'll keep an eye on that particular service for the next couple of days.

Thanks.