Thread: Text cleanup

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if there is any help out there with the process of cleaning up legacy data as it heads into a new ERP. Specifically, description fields where we want to either parse out certain texts, or delete certain character combinations (lbs, for instance) or replace # with lbs, things like that. We've got tens of thousands of records to cleanse, so I'm wondering if there is any program or way of addressing these issues in large blocks. TYIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='774369' date='08-May-2009 15:01']I'm wondering if there is any help out there with the process of cleaning up legacy data as it heads into a new ERP. Specifically, description fields where we want to either parse out certain texts, or delete certain character combinations (lbs, for instance) or replace # with lbs, things like that. We've got tens of thousands of records to cleanse, so I'm wondering if there is any program or way of addressing these issues in large blocks. TYIA[/quote]

1.) What is the target database?
    2.) Is there a budget?
    3.) How much code are you willing to write?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='774369' date='08-May-2009 13:01']I'm wondering if there is any help out there with the process of cleaning up legacy data as it heads into a new ERP.[/quote]
    Many consultants make a good living doing just that. The conversion costs for ERP projects typically exceed the software license costs!