Thanks
    I am totally new to VB (Express) and it may be that what I have is no problem, but even then it is strange.

In trying to install VB 2008 Express, two of the optional items are "SQL Server 2005 Express" and "Silverlight runtime." It may be that I don't need these, but since they were there, I thought I could at least take a look.

The attached pic shows the two as available additions. They refuse to either download or install. I can download the SQL Server 2005 (and 2008) as standalones, but not through this screen. And if I install either separately, it still shows as missing when I go through Add components.

Do I need either? If so, why won't they download and/or install, and/or why doesn't the install recognize them as present if installed outside of the VB 2008 installation process?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Moved this thread here as it is about VB!

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow' post='774445 View Post
    ...why won't they download and/or install, and/or why doesn't the install recognize them as present if installed outside of the VB 2008 installation process?
    No idea. Could it be related to installation privileges (if you run Vista/Windows 7)?

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='774449' date='09-May-2009 10:35']If you can install them separately, then inability to download and install through that dialog seems irrelevant. However, if you create a project and want to add a SQL Server database component or Silverlight component, and VB has not figured by then that those are installed, you will have a problem at that point. Whether it is an issue for you depends on the programs you plan to write.

No idea. Could it be related to installation privileges (if you run Vista/Windows 7)?[/quote]

Ok Jefferson, thanks. Certainly doesn't impact me at this stage of the kerning process, that's for sure! It does seem strange the MS's own install process wouldn't be a bit more "aware." though.

Oh well, it's of little consequence at the moment.

Thanks again,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='774449' date='09-May-2009 10:35']If you can install them separately, then inability to download and install through that dialog seems irrelevant. However, if you create a project and want to add a SQL Server database component or Silverlight component, and VB has not figured by then that those are installed, you will have a problem at that point. Whether it is an issue for you depends on the programs you plan to write.

No idea. Could it be related to installation privileges (if you run Vista/Windows 7)?[/quote]

Jefferson:

I found that if I downloaded the entire Visual Studio ( http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ ) it all downloaeded and installed without a hitch.

A bit bulkier, no doubt, but it worked right off.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow