New Lounger
    Thanks
    If this has been covered previously, I'm not finding the thread via a quick search:

I've just moved up to Word 2007 (SP2), and am attempting to print a document with Track Changes enabled. My problem is this: I want to include the text of my inserted comments in the printout, but I don't want to use balloons to do so. Yet no permutation of Track Changes settings and those in the Word Options and Print dialogs seems to do this. The formatting markup displays as it should, the reference-markers for the comments show up in the printed copy, and the "Print What" dropdown's "List of Markup" feature will give me a separate printout of the comments. But in a printout of the document proper, it seems that I can only get the actual comment text in balloons, not in footnoted or inline form. Nor can I get Print Layout view to display the comment text other than in the summary window and/or a ToolTip hover-box.

Am I missing something obvious, missing something annoyingly subtle, or discovering a Stupid Design Choice implemented in this version of Word?
    "What's loved, survives." (Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry)

Thanks
    [quote name='JC-Bunnell' post='774451' date='09-May-2009 10:41']My problem is this: I want to include the text of my inserted comments in the printout, but I don't want to use balloons to do so. Yet no permutation of Track Changes settings and those in the Word Options and Print dialogs seems to do this.[/quote]
    I have Word 2003 on this PC and I can't see how to print comments inline in Word 2003. Do you recall how you did it before you switched to 2007? Sometimes there are secret ways to revive old functionality if you can identify a particular menu command or option selection (but sometimes not).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='774489' date='09-May-2009 18:54']I have Word 2003 on this PC and I can't see how to print comments inline in Word 2003. Do you recall how you did it before you switched to 2007? Sometimes there are secret ways to revive old functionality if you can identify a particular menu command or option selection (but sometimes not).[/quote]

1. Pull down View > Markup
    2. On the Markup toolbar pull down Show > Balloons
    3. Check Never

In 2007: On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click Show Markup to effect step 1 above.[attachment=83687:ShowMarkup.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    Don

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='774489' date='09-May-2009 18:54']I have Word 2003 on this PC and I can't see how to print comments inline in Word 2003. Do you recall how you did it before you switched to 2007? Sometimes there are secret ways to revive old functionality if you can identify a particular menu command or option selection (but sometimes not).[/quote]
    As far as I recall, it has never been possible to show Word comments in line. They are either in balloons or the reviewing pane. I recorded a macro that I used to make in line comments for clients who insisted on them. But I couldn't find it when I looked earlier today. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll look again.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See post #3 by Stefan Blom in this newsgroup thread. It contains a macro that will insert comments in the body of the document, so that they will be printed with it. Just don't save the document after running the macro and printing the document.