Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I am creating a set of linked HTML pages that will be stored and accessed on a CD, no web server involved.

I have use of a PC with Dreamweaver CS4, Flash CS4 and related products for content creation and management, but I am happy to use other tools if they are not too expensive.

I need to include some sound and video recordings, and I am not sure of the best format to use. My goal is to have maximum compatibility as I don't know what will be installed on the users PC.

I tried creating a SWF file with Flash and including this in a web page. On the PC where I created it this worked perfectly, I could even embed a video with no controls that automatically started as the web page loaded. Unfortunately this did not play at all on a PC that just had the flash player, I could see the flash content as a rectangle but it didn't play.

Any suggestions of the best tools to use, formats to create, and techniques to use for embedding sound and video into my pages.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='774533' date='10-May-2009 05:10']On the PC where I created it this worked perfectly, I could even embed a video with no controls that automatically started as the web page loaded. Unfortunately this did not play at all on a PC that just had the flash player, I could see the flash content as a rectangle but it didn't play.[/quote]
    Is it possible to rule out security restrictions? As part of the My Computer zone, is it possible that ActiveX controls like the Flash player will not be invoked?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='774588' date='10-May-2009 22:19']Is it possible to rule out security restrictions? As part of the My Computer zone, is it possible that ActiveX controls like the Flash player will not be invoked?[/quote]

When I load the page into my browser it does not automatically run the flash, I have to permit it to run, then it just displays a blank page and if I right click on the page I can see the flash menu.

It's probably something I am doing wrong when creating the flash file, but I really don't know what!

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='774591' date='10-May-2009 14:39']... if I right click on the page I can see the flash menu.

It's probably something I am doing wrong when creating the flash file, but I really don't know what![/quote]
    If the SWF plays when you drag and drop it onto a browser window, then we could conclude that the SWF is okay.

Perhaps it's a problem with the path? Does it work if the SWF is in the same folder as the page?

As a workaround, in case embedding isn't going to work in some scenarios, perhaps you can add a link to launch the SWF in a new window/tab or in the default player.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I am making progress.

I had intentionally included the F4V video with no playback controls, it looks as though it was loading without auto-playing. I managed to get it to work by creating an FLV file and embedding this in the SWF timeline - but this loses synchronization on longer clips (as Adobe warns here).

I guess I just have to keep playing till I find an option that works.