Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    LiberKey has easily the biggest range of portable software (for USB etc.) I've come across, conveniently packaged together as "suites":

LiberKey Ultimate (202 softwares)
    LiberKey Standard (106 softwares)
    LiberKey Basic (28 softwares)

The full list can be viewed at LiberKey - All softwares.

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='774546' date='10-May-2009 14:58']The full list can be viewed at LiberKey - All softwares.[/quote]
    Looks interesting - but why do they think the plural of software is softwares?
    (Much like DEC used to think the plural of source (code) was sources...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='774570' date='10-May-2009 18:40']why do they think the plural of software is softwares?[/quote]Probably because it is a French site. "Software" is one of the Americanisms used in French, and in French the plural would be softwares.

I have installed it on my USB key. It is easy to use and the applications I have tried launch fairly quickly, though the update mechanism does require switching file associations. They have a utility which switches file associations between your usual associations and LiberKey associations.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='774570' date='11-May-2009 03:40']Looks interesting - but why do they think the plural of software is softwares?
    (Much like DEC used to think the plural of source (code) was sources...)[/quote]

I'm afraid it's become part of the vernacular. Not just French sites, but English ones too. Often I've seen "... looking for a software to do ..." or similar. Just another example of nobody understanding the basics of the language any more.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='774546' date='10-May-2009 09:58']LiberKey has easily the biggest range of portable software ...[/quote]
    Man, they sure have a slow server. I'm on my third try at downloading it and the download is running at 125-135 KB/sec. The two previous times it stalled midway.

Oops, making a liar out of me, it's now running at about 200 KB/sec...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Uh Oh, I made a boo-boo! Didn't want something in the tray which I might only use once in a blue moon, so I right-clicked it, opened its Options and told it NOT to go in the tray.

Now when I execute the .EXE file, nothing happens. I re-installed (over the top) but that didn't fix it. Looked in Revo Uninstaller and there's nothing installed (as advertised!). So, I suppose I'll have to delete the whole mess and try re-installing to an empty folder. Caution...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    For whatever this is worth to any of you, this fella does something strange, somewhere... I tried to delete everything in the directory where I installed and there is ONE file that will not delete - Lkrun.exe, even with Unlocker. I had to let Unlocker delete it on a reboot to get rid of it. All I wanted to do is a "clean re-install" but I think I'll pass on this one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774650' date='11-May-2009 21:47']I'll pass on this one.[/quote]
    Interesting that you say that.

I had a look at the site and most of these programs are offered for Portable Apps as well. I have had great success with Portable Apps and couldn't see any reason on the Liberkey site to change.

Theonly time taht Portable Apps did not cover what I wanted I followed Jezza'a advice and used Mojo Pac to run Windows on a USB drive and it worked a treat.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774650' date='11-May-2009 21:47']For whatever this is worth to any of you, this fella does something strange, somewhere... I tried to delete everything in the directory where I installed and there is ONE file that will not delete - Lkrun.exe, even with Unlocker. I had to let Unlocker delete it on a reboot to get rid of it. All I wanted to do is a "clean re-install" but I think I'll pass on this one.[/quote]

From this and your previous post, it sounds like the .EXE was still running backgrounded. Sorry it didn't work so well for you. Like Johbot says, you can source most of the apps elsewhere. What I liked about this approach though (apart from the "suites") is the file association change facility. It makes installing/integrating to the Liberkey suite easy too.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='774835' date='12-May-2009 09:57']From this and your previous post, it sounds like the .EXE was still running backgrounded...[/quote]
    No, the first thing I did was Task Manager to see if the EXE (or anything related) was running and there was nothing. Seein' as how I couldn't get it to run, that's why I decided to wipe it and re-do. When that didn't help, I figured he must've hidden something in the registry, so I decided to get out. Then, when I couldn't delete the "Suites" file, hmmm.

I hope you took no offense, 'cause I still think it's a neat idea and maybe I'll put 'em on one of my thumb drives and see if that helps. Like you and Johanna, I like "portable" apps too.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='774839' date='13-May-2009 00:12']I hope you took no offense.[/quote]

Of course not... after all, I didn't code it - I'm just the messenger!

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='774843' date='12-May-2009 10:43']Of course not... after all, I didn't code it - I'm just the messenger![/quote]
    Thanks! I'm trying as we speak to install on one of my Kingston 4 gig thumb drives (very, very slow performance) and the install gets various times into its process and then yields an "I/O error" and stops. I've tried twice and now I have to leave. I'll try again later this afternoon.