Thanks
    I had a post about this topic a while back, but never really found what I was trying to do.

If the key code for an ASCII character says its U+221, what the heck does that mean, because typing "U" and then 221A doesn't give me the character (root symbol), so how the heck do I key it? I know that most times you can inert by "pasting" but I'd like to find out how to key it.

Also, then, is there a way to construct a symbol for the cubed root?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Not sure how the "U" works, but if you type the characters (221 or 221A), then immediately type the key combination Alt X, the ASCII character should appear. In my tests just now, it didn't matter if I used the numeric keypad or the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"

[quote name='CWBillow' post='774699' date='11-May-2009 19:33']I had a post about this topic a while back, but never really found what I was trying to do.

If the key code for an ASCII character says its U+221, what the heck does that mean, because typing "U" and then 221A doesn't give me the character (root symbol), so how the heck do I key it? I know that most times you can inert by "pasting" but I'd like to find out how to key it.

Also, then, is there a way to construct a symbol for the cubed root?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    U stands for "Unicode". To insert the symbol with hexadecimal value 221A in Word, type 221A then press Alt+x.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The hexadecimal value for cubed root is 221B, as you can find in the Character Map accessory. So type 221B and press Alt+X to insert it into your Word document.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='774708' date='11-May-2009 12:08']U stands for "Unicode". To insert the symbol with hexadecimal value 221A in Word, type 221A then press Alt+x.[/quote]

Jan/Hans:

Thanks. I wasn't making sense of it at all
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"