Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Have they removed the "registry edit merge success" and "registry edit merge failure" sounds? All I'm getting no0w is a message box.

Is there a way to turn it back on if need be?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='774767' date='12-May-2009 01:04']Have they removed the "registry edit merge success" and "registry edit merge failure" sounds?[/quote]
    I don't have a definite answer for you, but I would wonder just how many people would be able to tell the difference between these rarely-encountered events? I must say that I have never realised they existed in any version of Windows...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='774767' date='11-May-2009 19:04']Have they removed the "registry edit merge success" and "registry edit merge failure" sounds? All I'm getting no0w is a message box.

Is there a way to turn it back on if need be?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]

Since those don't appear to be a system defined soundto in XP or Vista they are probably not in Win7. Where did you "find" them?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='774825' date='12-May-2009 06:08']Since those don't appear to be a system defined soundto in XP or Vista they are probably not in Win7. Where did you "find" them?

Joe[/quote]

Batcher, just call me weird.

Joe, Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds have been with every version of Windows I've used previously, all the way from 2.1 (I think...maybe 3).

If you look at the "standard" Windows sound schemes for any of the other version (XP and Vista included) you'll see Start and Exit sounds (and choices in the setups). So they were defined by somebody at MS before they ever got to me.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow' post='774767 View Post
    Joe, Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds have been with every version of Windows I've used previously, all the way from 2.1 (I think...maybe 3).

If you look at the "standard" Windows sound schemes for any of the other version (XP and Vista included) you'll see Start and Exit sounds (and choices in the setups). So they were defined by somebody at MS before they ever got to me.
    Chuck, once more you are not telling us what beta software you are talking about. True, you are talking about registry merge (in the OP at least) so one has to assume an OS software (Windows), and in a follow up post you mention Windows, so we all have to assume it is Windows 7, but it isn’t that difficult to mention it.

Could you please explain to me, and perhaps others who don't understand what in earth Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds has to do with your original question, as per above.

As to your original question: I have to say, though I am no Windows sound scheme aficionado, that I have never heard of a specific "registry edit merge failure" event sound. Perhaps because I've never had any registry merge failures ... and in general, I would think that it is such a rare event that it isn't necessary to have specific sound for that.

Further more, in Windows XP just as an example, I can't even find such an event, to allocate a sound to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default

What is wrong with "SystemExclamation" sound for a merge failure? I can't imagine anyone needing a specific sound for such an event; a failure is a failure, a success is a success, don't need to separate them.

And now you are talking about start and exit sounds, which is it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='775121' date='13-May-2009 19:18']Batcher, just call me weird.

If you look at the "standard" Windows sound schemes for any of the other version (XP and Vista included) you'll see Start and Exit sounds (and choices in the setups). So they were defined by somebody at MS before they ever got to me.[/quote]

What in the world does does this have to do with your original question about registry merge success or failure?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='775121' date='14-May-2009 02:18']If you look at the "standard" Windows sound schemes for any of the other version (XP and Vista included) you'll see Start and Exit sounds[/quote]
    Yes, but I've never encountered "registry edit merge success" and "registry edit merge failure" sounds, which your original question was about.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='775141' date='13-May-2009 22:21']Yes, but I've never encountered "registry edit merge success" and "registry edit merge failure" sounds, which your original question was about.[/quote]

Guys:

I (as usual) apologize for not being clear.

I'll try to hit all the points:

I'm working in Windows 7.

I have had people over time ask me to assist them in setting up their system - God help them -- anyway:

In so doing, some have asked "What ever happened to the ______ sound?" so I started keeping them through the different Windows versions. The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though. Note the Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds? These all work in Vista as well, so it's just in 7 that they turned off the "Start" sound, for instance.

Now, for the registry sound: No, I never saw one in the sound setups either. But I do know that if I have a registry entry in the wrong format, and try to merge it, it gives me an error message box -- and, again, until 7, it also gave me what I think was the "Critical error" sound. Not any more. And if I have an registry entry that is correct, it would, again, give me a message box and a sound -- Exclamation I think. Not any more.

I do apologize for always forgetting to mention the o/s. I pretty much am in Windows, but I will slap myself and try to remember to mention which version etc. I understand that there are other o/s's around, and that that can be a bother.

I don' suppose the "sound thing" is all that important...but I sort of like to know the why and wherefore of a change when I come across it, and, especially when it seems to be for no cogent reason. Since the sounds were already there, why bother removing them, since most of the sounds remain in place?

Joe and all, I also apologize for a seeming mixing of threads. They seemed of one to me as they have to all do with "sounds."

Argus, when you say "What is wrong with "SystemExclamation" sound for a merge failure?", I thoroughly agree -- but it ain't happening that way either. Just the message box.

If I forgot anything, I apologize...

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='775151' date='14-May-2009 03:39']I'm working in Windows 7.

In so doing, some have asked "What ever happened to the ______ sound?" so I started keeping them through the different Windows versions. The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though. Note the Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds? These all work in Vista as well, so it's just in 7 that they turned off the "Start" sound, for instance.

Now, for the registry sound: No, I never saw one in the sound setups either. But I do know that if I have a registry entry in the wrong format, and try to merge it, it gives me an error message box -- and, again, until 7, it also gave me what I think was the "Critical error" sound. Not any more. And if I have an registry entry that is correct, it would, again, give me a message box and a sound -- Exclamation I think. Not any more.[/quote]

Did you investigate the link in Post 774497 (which is in your original thread, Post 774410, about the Windows logon sound)?

Now, about your error or confirmation sound. Have you been tinkering with the sound scheme? Have you checked any prior version of Windows to find out what the sound & event are that you are trying to track?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm working in Windows 7.
    NOW, is this build 7000 or 7100 (RC) as they are different?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='775151' date='14-May-2009 10:39'][snip]
    The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though. Note the Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds? These all work in Vista as well, so it's just in 7 that they turned off the "Start" sound, for instance.

Now, for the registry sound: No, I never saw one in the sound setups either. But I do know that if I have a registry entry in the wrong format, and try to merge it, it gives me an error message box -- and, again, until 7, it also gave me what I think was the "Critical error" sound. Not any more. And if I have an registry entry that is correct, it would, again, give me a message box and a sound -- Exclamation I think. Not any more.
    [snip]
    Since the sounds were already there, why bother removing them, since most of the sounds remain in place?

Joe and all, I also apologize for a seeming mixing of threads. They seemed of one to me as they have to all do with "sounds."

Argus, when you say "What is wrong with "SystemExclamation" sound for a merge failure?", I thoroughly agree -- but it ain't happening that way either. Just the message box.
    [snip][/quote]
    OK. We can all miss something sometimes. But since this is a general beta forum, it is a very good, even necessary, idea to add information about what software is the subject of the post, I think.

Anyhow, I did a test merge in Windows 7 RC running in a virtual PC (that means there is no support for hardware, but it has sound, of basic quality, quite well). This is what I saw. When I right-clicked a reg-file that I had prepared and chose Merge I got the following prompts (after the initial UAC prompt):

First came the usual exclamation; "Are you sure you want to continue?" AND a sound (it was Windows system sound Exclamation).
    [attachment=83751:TestMerge.PNG]

When clicking Yes, I got the information: "The keys and values have been successfully added to the registry" AND a sound (it was Windows system sound Asterisk).
    [attachment=83752:TestMerge2.PNG]

I could then also confirm that the key indeed was added to the registry.

So, there you have it – it works in the RC in a virtual PC, it should work on real HW, as well. Check your system before you start changing things, is the best advice.

P.S. When I said "What is wrong with "SystemExclamation" sound for a merge failure?" or similar sound I meant from a general point of view, we don't need several sounds. Anyhow, the dialog boxes shown do invoke events, which by default have a sound allocated.

P.S. 2: I didn't try to create a registry merge failure, since I don't know how to fail.

P.S. 3: BTW, "The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though." What snapshot?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='775215' date='14-May-2009 13:19']P.S. 2: I didn't try to create a registry merge failure, since I don't know how to fail. [/quote]

That a way, Argus. Postitive attitude wins all the time!!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='775215' date='14-May-2009 13:19']P.S. 2: I didn't try to create a registry merge failure, since I don't know how to fail. [/quote]
    I agree with Bob! I love it!

Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='775215' date='14-May-2009 10:19']OK. We can all miss something sometimes. But since this is a general beta forum, it is a very good, even necessary, idea to add information about what software is the subject of the post, I think.

Anyhow, I did a test merge in Windows 7 RC running in a virtual PC (that means there is no support for hardware, but it has sound, of basic quality, quite well). This is what I saw. When I right-clicked a reg-file that I had prepared and chose Merge I got the following prompts (after the initial UAC prompt):

First came the usual exclamation; "Are you sure you want to continue?" AND a sound (it was Windows system sound Exclamation).
    [attachment=83751:TestMerge.PNG]

When clicking Yes, I got the information: "The keys and values have been successfully added to the registry" AND a sound (it was Windows system sound Asterisk).
    [attachment=83752:TestMerge2.PNG]

I could then also confirm that the key indeed was added to the registry.

So, there you have it – it works in the RC in a virtual PC, it should work on real HW, as well. Check your system before you start changing things, is the best advice.

P.S. When I said "What is wrong with "SystemExclamation" sound for a merge failure?" or similar sound I meant from a general point of view, we don't need several sounds. Anyhow, the dialog boxes shown do invoke events, which by default have a sound allocated.

P.S. 2: I didn't try to create a registry merge failure, since I don't know how to fail.

P.S. 3: BTW, "The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though." What snapshot?[/quote]

I dunno Argus, but my sound seems to work for everything else -- snapshot? Clip? Pic? Is there another term that I could or should use?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='775267' date='14-May-2009 23:08']I dunno Argus, but my sound seems to work for everything else -- snapshot? Clip? Pic? Is there another term that I could or should use?[/quote]
    In Post 775151 higher up in this topic, you mention
    The snapshot below is a set from, I think, Windows 2000, maybe 98 though. Note the Windows Start and Windows Exit sounds?
    What does "the snapshot below" refer to???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast