2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I have Windows XP-SP3 with three HD's (2 X 250GB, 1 X 500GB) and 2 GB RAM, connected to cable internet through a router. I updated Zone Alarm to the latest version (80_298_035) but when the computer restarted it froze. I have had trouble with updates for Zone Alarm before so I had made a System Restore point immediately before installing the update (after closing all operating programs) - so when it failed I tried to restore the system to the previous state - no luck - system restore would not work. Tried uninstalling Zone Alarm - no luck. Tried everything I could think of - nothing worked. In the end I did a full Windows Repair using a saved System State from four weeks ago. But while that worked up to a point Zone Alarm was no longer operating, so I installed the earlier version. That appeared to work, but it repeatedly fails to update its virus checking files, and also since then I cannot get any downloaded file to operate - double clicking an EXE file leads to nothing happening at all - no error message and nothing happens.
    I started to suspect I had a virus, so tried to use Trend Micro's Housecall on-line virus checker, but its attempts to transfer needed files to my computer repeatedly failed. I tried McAfee on-line virus scan but its attempts to install an Active-X component failed. I tried to download and install Malware Byte's Anti-Malware but whilst the file downloaded OK attempting to install it failed at the stage of double clicking the install EXE.
    I am completely bamboozled - please can someone tell me how to allow downloaded files to operate again?
    Noel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps it's time to reinstall Windows from scratch, after making a backup of your data files...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='NoelM' post='774768' date='11-May-2009 20:30'][/quote]
    I think Hans may be right. It sounds like you might be forced to do a re-install. But, I would ask one try more. What if you run Windows Explorer and right-click on an EXE file. Do you get a context menu with OPEN or RUN AS... showing? If so, will an EXE run from that method?

Sounds like a virus to me too, so I wish you luck...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='NoelM' post='774768' date='11-May-2009 19:30']I have Windows XP-SP3 with three HD's (2 X 250GB, 1 X 500GB) and 2 GB RAM, connected to cable internet through a router. I updated Zone Alarm to the latest version (80_298_035) but when the computer restarted it froze. I have had trouble with updates for Zone Alarm before so I had made a System Restore point immediately before installing the update (after closing all operating programs) - so when it failed I tried to restore the system to the previous state - no luck - system restore would not work. Tried uninstalling Zone Alarm - no luck. Tried everything I could think of - nothing worked. In the end I did a full Windows Repair using a saved System State from four weeks ago. But while that worked up to a point Zone Alarm was no longer operating, so I installed the earlier version. That appeared to work, but it repeatedly fails to update its virus checking files, and also since then I cannot get any downloaded file to operate - double clicking an EXE file leads to nothing happening at all - no error message and nothing happens.
    I started to suspect I had a virus, so tried to use Trend Micro's Housecall on-line virus checker, but its attempts to transfer needed files to my computer repeatedly failed. I tried McAfee on-line virus scan but its attempts to install an Active-X component failed. I tried to download and install Malware Byte's Anti-Malware but whilst the file downloaded OK attempting to install it failed at the stage of double clicking the install EXE.
    I am completely bamboozled - please can someone tell me how to allow downloaded files to operate again?
    Noel[/quote]

See if the right side of line 324 at Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP helps with the .exe files.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='774823' date='12-May-2009 23:03']See if the right side of line 324 at Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP helps with the .exe files.

Joe[/quote]

Thank you Joe,

I will try that first then do a reinstall if it does not work

Thank you all for your advice - my apologies for the delay in responding - it turned out that I could not log in to the Lounge using Firefox so had to use the IE tab to do so - a bit slow to work that out

Noel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to all three of you - I have now re-installed Windows, and, apart from a number of programs that I will have to re-install, everything now seems to be working as it should.
    When I ran Malwarebytes it found that the cmputer was infected with "Rogue.Errorsmart" - so that may well explain the problems. Anyway all is now working so big thank you.

Noel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='NoelM' post='775659' date='17-May-2009 22:30']Thank you to all three of you - I have now re-installed Windows, and, apart from a number of programs that I will have to re-install, everything now seems to be working as it should.
    When I ran Malwarebytes it found that the cmputer was infected with "Rogue.Errorsmart" - so that may well explain the problems. Anyway all is now working so big thank you.

Noel[/quote]

You're welcome. Sorry you had to resort to a reinstall but glad it is working well now. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe