New Lounger
    Thanks
    Somehow, on a bad, bad compulsion, I was diddling around with my eMail format
    and changed something so all my Word docs and emails (replies, only -- not
    "New" emails) have a dark blue background with white letters.

I can find no way to create or change a "default document format" as I can
    in the word processor I'm more familiar with. Is there a way to do this?

Format>Background>No Fill has no effect. Format>Background>choose "white" as
    a color changes for the current doc, but not for any new replies or Word
    docs.

And, I still have to change the font back to black each time I compose in
    Word or an Outlook reply.

Thanks for any insights.

Don.
    MS Office Word 2003 (11.5604.5606)
    Professional Edition

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don,

Sounds like somehow this change was made to your Normal.dot template, which is the template that controls defaults for new standard documents.

You could locate and open your Normal.dot template to see if it has this formatting in it: In Windows Explorer, navigate to:

C:\Documents and Setting\[yourname]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

- you should see Normal.dot in that location. Right-click on it and select 'Open'. If you see the reverse formatting in Normal.dot, you can change the background formatting and font color for Normal style back to what you want them to be, and save and close Normal.dot. Alternatively, with Word closed, you could delete Normal.dot - next time you launch Word, it will automatically create a new one for you (although you won't see it in Windows Explorer in that case, until you save any kind of change to Normal.dot in the future).

Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

You didn't by any chance tick the check box "Blue background, white text" in the General tab of Tools | Options...?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='774886' date='12-May-2009 11:50']Welcome to the Lounge!

You didn't by any chance tick the check box "Blue background, white text" in the General tab of Tools | Options...?[/quote]
    I did in fact do that, apparently. And thanks much for figuring this one out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='774861' date='12-May-2009 10:21']Don,

Sounds like somehow this change was made to your Normal.dot template, which is the template that controls defaults for new standard documents.

You could locate and open your Normal.dot template to see if it has this formatting in it: In Windows Explorer, navigate to:

C:\Documents and Setting\[yourname]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

- you should see Normal.dot in that location. Right-click on it and select 'Open'. If you see the reverse formatting in Normal.dot, you can change the background formatting and font color for Normal style back to what you want them to be, and save and close Normal.dot. Alternatively, with Word closed, you could delete Normal.dot - next time you launch Word, it will automatically create a new one for you (although you won't see it in Windows Explorer in that case, until you save any kind of change to Normal.dot in the future).

Gary[/quote]
    Gary,

That's interesting. As I said, I'm accustomed to another word processor and find my intro to Word sometimes less accessible.

Thanks, it's a fascinating look at normal.dot.