2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We have a Sony Vaio that we lend out to employees who want to stay connected with the office while they're away at conferences or visiting out of state clients. Yesterday someone requested the laptop and I turned it on, downloaded a few months worth of Windows patches, ran disk cleanup and handed it to my coworker to take out of town.

My coworker called me and said that he couldn't get the computer to boot at all and that it was telling him that instantOn was compressed-press any key to shut down.

A quick Google search of instantOn was not helpful.

What on earth should I suggest to my coworker?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='chris.revere' post='774882' date='12-May-2009 13:38']We have a Sony Vaio that we lend out to employees who want to stay connected with the office while they're away at conferences or visiting out of state clients. Yesterday someone requested the laptop and I turned it on, downloaded a few months worth of Windows patches, ran disk cleanup and handed it to my coworker to take out of town.

My coworker called me and said that he couldn't get the computer to boot at all and that it was telling him that instantOn was compressed-press any key to shut down.

A quick Google search of instantOn was not helpful.

What on earth should I suggest to my coworker?[/quote]

Well, you violated the first rule of giving a PC to someone leaving town. You made massive changes to it. As you found out that is a recipe for disaster. You should leave enough time to adequately check the PC if you are going to make changes. If you don't have the time leave it alone.

XP will compress files it thinks are unused if you let it. My guess (from sony vaio instanton - Live Search) is that instantOn is something Sony added and it can not be processed if it is compressed. Have you tried having your co-worker boot into safe mode. If he can you may be able to talk him through examining the startup entries and chasing down the files to make sure they are not compressed. Otherwise, IMO he is out of luck until you can get it back.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Have you tried having your co-worker boot into safe mode."

That's pretty much what I plan on doing when he calls me back.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My coworker called to tell me that the computer had healed itself. I'm still doing a system restore when he gets back to town.