5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mrs B and I have decided that from now on, we are going to dispense with all those paper files. Paid bills, Income tax forms, passport applications etc. We are going to be frightfully modern and keep only .pdf files. Now, of course, we need to get that paper into .pdf and the thought of standing by our HP all-in-one, page by page, by page, by page makes me want to ..

So, obviously, we need some sort of scanner with some sort of feeding device which must be not too expensive.

I've got some great scanning software, so that won't be an issue - but can anylounger recommend a good (not great) scanner that would suit our needs?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='774923' date='12-May-2009 23:19']I've got some great scanning software, so that won't be an issue - but can anylounger recommend a good (not great) scanner that would suit our needs?[/quote]
    We have a Brother multifunction laser at work which has a scanner feed on top (I think it's an early ancestor of This. It works pretty well as a photocopier .

I think, though, that a mix of variously sized bits of paper might confuse it!
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    Bowlie

My first reply since system converted.

I have been looking to purchase a scanner for paper and for converting 35mm film. I have decided on the Canon Cano Scan 8800F Flatbed Scanner, about $180 thru Amazon but have yet to place an order.

Two other lower price scanners are CanoScan 5600F Flatbed Scanner and CanoScan LIDE 100 Flatbed Scanner.
    Al

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back.
    Paul Erdos

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='774923' date='12-May-2009 18:19']... the thought of standing by our HP all-in-one, page by page, by page, by page makes me want to ..[/quote]
    I hope that you are referring to paper-that-arrives-after-this-date, and not those seven cartons of receipts you are retaining for tax purposes.
    Those boxes/years will slip away before you know it.

I am going PDF, but without scanning. My bills (both of them!) come in electronically, and once a month I print them and a copy of my online bank statement to PDF, reasoning that I can always make a genuine hard-copy should the need arise.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='775115' date='13-May-2009 23:15']I hope that you are referring to paper-that-arrives-after-this-date, and not those seven cartons of receipts you are retaining for tax purposes.
    Those boxes/years will slip away before you know it.

I am going PDF, but without scanning. My bills (both of them!) come in electronically, and once a month I print them and a copy of my online bank statement to PDF, reasoning that I can always make a genuine hard-copy should the need arise.[/quote]
    Appreciate your concerns, but we are thinking to the future, not the past. We already get may of our bills etc. by .pdf, but not everyone is up to speed.

Sliderule & Jon thanks for your suggestions!