Thanks
    I have failed completely in trying to track down an old thread where, in Firefox, the date was shown as '109' instead of '2009' (for example), because a bit of Javascript was wrongly coded. I cannot even search on 'Javascript' and trying "Firefox and date" seems just to give results based on "Firefox OR date"

I believe Jefferson gave me the correct coding at the time, but it seems completely lost now...

Please can we have Google searches of the website?

Thanks!

PS Other sites have this Googling available: example.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    To search on keywords with AND, use + (as explained in the Advanced Usage Help), e.g.

+firefox +date

or

+firefox +date +javascript

In the "More search options" window, you can also specify the name of the poster, so you could further limit the search results by entering jscher2000 in the "Filter by Member Name" box.

Thanks
    Thanks, Hans!

Searching on "javascript" is not allowed, but searching on "+javascript" is.

Still think adding Google searching would be a Good Thing!
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='775019' date='13-May-2009 06:39']Thanks, Hans!

Searching on "javascript" is not allowed, but searching on "+javascript" is.

Still think adding Google searching would be a Good Thing![/quote]
    All in good time.
    Charlotte

Thanks
    [quote name='charlotte' post='775056' date='13-May-2009 18:09']All in good time. [/quote]
    Wowee!
    BATcher

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='774994' date='13-May-2009 14:37']I have failed completely in trying to track down an old thread where, in Firefox, the date was shown as '109' instead of '2009' (for example), because a bit of Javascript was wrongly coded. I cannot even search on 'Javascript' and trying "Firefox and date" seems just to give results based on "Firefox OR date"[/quote]
    When I search anywhere, any database, it only takes one search to determine if it includes AND. If not, I will add a "+", as for example is needed here in the Lounge (or in some other cases, of course, use AND). No problem. As for the word javascript (or perhaps JavaScript, to be correct); for some reason it seems like the Lounge software has an aversion against it. For example, Jefferson has mentioned this several times when posting script examples for bookmarklets.

If one wants a word as written, one can use "" around it, most everyone knows this and uses it with phrases. But it has some uses even around a single word. If you search with Google for: street, you will also get results including the abbreviation "St". However, a search for "street" with quotation marks will result in only: street. Same goes for other words where Google extends the search; game - games, computer - computers etc.

This is not always what one want, no matter how helpful it can look, thus I sometimes use quotation marks around a single word. It can of course be combined in a search: "street" "game" (in Google, since it includes the AND).

Since the Lounge software, as it seems, for the moment has an aversion against the word javascript in search or code, one can use quotation marks in the search. For example:

"javascript" +firefox +date

But, as shown, it works all OK with +javascript, as well. So it isn't that poor.

If or when Google search is enabled I guess all will be happy (those who need it as well as those who donít; a true AND ).

Thanks
    I would like to add an experience I just had which points to inconsistency in the search tool.

I was in:

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showforum=28

and I clicked on the "Search" button. I unselected "Search this forum only?" box and searched for driverscanner.exe.

I found:

http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=74...l=driverscanner

Just to be sure that I'd done a thorough search, I went to the top menu:

http://www.wopr.com/index.php

and I repeated the search. This time the system sent regrets that I could find nothing.

There is probably an answer for this behavior, but it does not make sense to me.

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? If I search for driverscanner.exe from the index, I find this topic and one from 2008 (starting at Post 740012)

Thanks
    "Haste makes waste."

I really believed that I'd used cut and paste to put the proper term in the search box and that it worked one place and not the other.

Clearly I did not.

I concur with your finding.

Case closed (to my chagrin.)

baumgrenze

[quote name='HansV' post='775231' date='14-May-2009 19:55']Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? If I search for driverscanner.exe from the index, I find this topic and one from 2008 (starting at Post 740012)[/quote]
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.