3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all.

I work in a Regulatory environment where documents NEED to be submitted in Times New Roman (at least until the guidance is changed.)

I know that the official way to change Word's default font from Calibri to Times New Roman is to make the change in Normal.dot. However, we foresee problems with that solution. Specifically, even if we push out a Normal.dot with Times New Roman, one of the most common approaches to trouble-shooting Word is to delete the Normal template and let Word rebuild one (when it's needed, anyway.) Bearing that in mind, it's only a matter of time until someone has their Normal template deleted and is back to Times New Roman.

Is anyone aware of ANY way that Office 2007 can be configured so that the "DEFAULT default" font is Times New Roman, so as to avoid this?

(I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but one can dream!)

Thanks in advance for your help.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try creating a new set of Theme Fonts on each user's machine using TNR for Headings and TNR for Body (Page Layout tab, Themes group, Fonts drop-down, Create new theme fonts -- Save) and then making that the default by navigating to the Styles group on the Home tab, clicking Change Styles, then clicking Set as Default. (You should test this solution on one machine before changing any others, obviously...)

Does that help?

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The other thing that might work -- which I've tested on three laptops -- is to modify the Default.dotx file, which is the template listed in the Style Set menu as "Word 2007." You can change the default font (including the font size and color) and paragraph settings (line spacing, before and after spacing, etc.) in the Default.dotx file and then apply it on top of normal.dotm, so to speak, in the event that you experience a crash and Word creates a new normal.dotm that uses Calibri for body text and Cambria for headings (as well as the 1.15 line spacing and 10 points after that are the new default settings in Word 2007).

You can find the Default.dotx file in the following location (the same for both Windows XP and Vista):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\1033 [assuming you are in the U.S.] \Quickstyles

Be sure to make a backup copy of Default.dotx before modifying it in case you experience any problems and need to restore the original file.

Once you have made a copy, you can open Default.dotx and edit it as if it were any other file.

After making the changes you desire and saving the modified file, you can apply the Word 2007 Style Set.

Let us know.

Jan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='775136' date='14-May-2009 00:31']The other thing that might work -- which I've tested on three laptops -- is to modify the Default.dotx file, which is the template listed in the Style Set menu as "Word 2007." You can change the default font (including the font size and color) and paragraph settings (line spacing, before and after spacing, etc.) in the Default.dotx file and then apply it on top of normal.dotm, so to speak, in the event that you experience a crash and Word creates a new normal.dotm that uses Calibri for body text and Cambria for headings (as well as the 1.15 line spacing and 10 points after that are the new default settings in Word 2007).

You can find the Default.dotx file in the following location (the same for both Windows XP and Vista):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\1033 [assuming you are in the U.S.] \Quickstyles

Be sure to make a backup copy of Default.dotx before modifying it in case you experience any problems and need to restore the original file.

Once you have made a copy, you can open Default.dotx and edit it as if it were any other file.

After making the changes you desire and saving the modified file, you can apply the Word 2007 Style Set.

Let us know.

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"[/quote]

Great information. I've wondered where the style sets were kept because I want to banish multispacing (1.15 line spacing) and 10 points after from ever cropping up unless I set those options myself. But hadn't gotten around to asking.

Default appears to be the Word 2007 style set. And classic, the Word 2003 style set.

This forum is the best!

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pam. I actually stumbled across the importance of the Style Sets (and Themes) while researching my book. As I was finalizing the manuscript, I happened to read a link someone posted here to an article on the Word Developers blog that mentioned the fact that the default settings are no longer stored in the Normal paragraph style in the NORMAL template -- in fact, the Normal paragraph style is "empty." I had to read that (and other portions of the article) about three times before the proverbial light bulb went off over my head.

As a result, I ended up doing lots of testing to try to figure out the interrelationship among the NORMAL template, the Style Sets, and Themes (and Theme Fonts). In the course of that testing, I discovered that the file that determines the Word 2007 Style Set is the Default.dotx.

Incidentally, I've seen people recommend using the Word 2003 Style Set in order to put the line spacing and after spacing back to the Word 2003 default settings. However, the Word 2003 Style Set uses the Calibri font, so in its "out of the box" form, it's not useful for California law firms. Of course, it can be modified, or you can create a set of Theme Fonts and use them in conjunction with the Word 2003 Style Set. But modifying the Default.dotx seems to me to be a more complete solution. (If Word does crash and re-create the normal.dotm, everything reverts to the new default settings -- 11-point Calibri for body text and Cambria for headings, 1.15 line spacing, 10 points after -- but you can apply the modified Word 2007 Style Set and that, apparently, overrides the settings in normal.dotm.)

Jan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='775148' date='14-May-2009 04:11']-- in fact, the Normal paragraph style is "empty." I had to read that (and other portions of the article) about three times before the proverbial light bulb went off over my head.[/quote]

I had the same experience after I read the (probably less technical) Word Team blog about normal and table styles and the Word style hierarchy. After I started playing with themes and style sets though I realized how easy it is to lose my settings. Again thank you.

(If Word does crash and re-create the normal.dotm, everything reverts to the new default settings -- 11-point Calibri for body text and Cambria for headings, 1.15 line spacing, 10 points after -- but you can apply the modified Word 2007 Style Set and that, apparently, overrides the settings in normal.dotm.)
    But only if normal is empty. One more caveat, because the files are kept in the Program Files path (instead of a user's Documents and Settings path, the files could be changed in an update or if you have to uninstall and reload Office or even just Word, the "factory" setting for default.dotx will return.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam,

Good point! I will make sure to clarify that in my training handouts and when I do a second edition of the book (which might be relatively soon...)

Interestingly, when users create their own Style Sets from scratch, those Style Sets are saved in a different location:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\QuickStyles

Vista: C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Quickstyles

Perhaps that would be a good place to put a backup copy of any modified Default.dotx, though I'd hesitate to give the backup file the same name because I suspect that might cause some funky behavior.

Jan

P.S. Agree with you about these forums -- they're terrific!

[quote name='PamCaswell' post='775216' date='14-May-2009 18:20']But only if normal is empty. One more caveat, because the files are kept in the Program Files path (instead of a user's Documents and Settings path, the files could be changed in an update or if you have to uninstall and reload Office or even just Word, the "factory" setting for default.dotx will return.

Pam[/quote]