New Lounger
    Thanks
    I keep getting security notices to download and install Windows Genuine Advantage KB 905474. However, my computer shows that this particular security update is already installed. As a matter of fact, I went to the MS Diagnostics website for this service and passed with flying colors. That is when Add/Remove Programs shows that this update was installed. Now, I still keep getting update notices for this particular update, and when I try to download and install from this notice, it always goes through the process and ends up saying Install Not Completed. That's it. And the next day, I am once again notified that I need to download and install KB 905474. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Try the suggestions provided in KB905474 (Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications) Will Not Install

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='775087' date='13-May-2009 16:11']Welcome to the Lounge!

Try the suggestions provided in KB905474 (Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications) Will Not Install[/quote]

Hans, I have tried the suggestion you mention without any success. No matter that my Add/Remove Programs shows that this GAN update KB905474 is installed and cannot be removed, I keep getting a notice to install this update. When I attempt to do this, I keep getting a "did not install" message. Any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='776338' date='21-May-2009 17:23']Another one: Windows Update KB905474 and KB913446 Installation Failed with Error Code 0×80242006.[/quote]

Hans, I appreciate your attempts at helping with this problem, but so far nothing has worked. Also, I have tried suggestions on the MS Help forum, to no avail. All of the suggested fixes seem to be for XP - Svc. Pack 2. I have Svc. Pack 3 installed, and when I download and run any of the "fixes" I get a msg. that says it is already installed. I could obviously turn off this particular notice, but won't it stop my being notified of most updates? If you look at my previous msgs., my computer tells me this update is already installed and running (and the MS Diagnostics website passes my computer with flying colors), but every day I get a notice to download and install the update. The results are always the same. Very frustrated at this point!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Goodguy28' post='777035' date='26-May-2009 12:04']I could obviously turn off this particular notice, but won't it stop my being notified of most updates?[/quote]

If you go to the Microsoft/Windows update website and manually check for updates you should be able to review your update history. You should check on one of the installation attempts for this patch and see if there is an error code.

You could also try go to Download details: Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, downloading the update, save it to your PC, run that saved update package.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='777051' date='26-May-2009 15:31']If you go to the Microsoft/Windows update website and manually check for updates you should be able to review your update history. You should check on one of the installation attempts for this patch and see if there is an error code.

You could also try go to Download details: Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, downloading the update, save it to your PC, run that saved update package.

Joe[/quote]

Thought I would bring you up to date re. my ongoing problem. After trying every suggestion I could muster, I have spent the last 3 weeks getting assistance from the MS Genuine Advantage Notification technical help reps. After getting various suggestions from them that did not work, I was passed up the line twice where I finally got some help that seems to have solved the problem. With this gentleman, I tried two of his suggestions that created more problems (thank God for System Restore!), and then he came up with this one -- actually the simplest suggestion of the lot. Here it is verbatum:

As KB905474 is listed in Add/Remove Programs already, let's test if we can
    stop it from keeping providing by Automatic Update.

Let's do the following steps to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder:

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".
    In the command window, type "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and
    press "Enter".
    2. Click "Start", "Run", type: "%windir%" (without quotations) and press
    "Enter".
    3. Double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
    4. In the opened folder, rename the folder Download to Download.old.
    5. Click "Start", "Run", type: "cmd" (without quotations) and press "Enter".
    In the command window, type "net start WuAuServ" (without quotations) and
    press "Enter".
    Now let's check if the WGA update still offer. If so, please click install
    to install the update. During the install process, we will encounter End
    User License Agreement window, you may click "Decline" (or Not Agree). Then
    it will exit the installation and won't be offered.

That last step re. Declining the End User License Agreement was not necessary. After performing the above actions and rebooting, the KB905474 still showed on the update download notification list, but when I clicked on it to download and follow those directions, it just disappeared -- and has not returned. So, it seems to have worked. Thanks for your suggestions and I hope this solution might assist others out there who experience the same problem.

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Goodguy28' post='781023' date='22-Jun-2009 10:55']That last step re. Declining the End User License Agreement was not necessary. After performing the above actions and rebooting, the KB905474 still showed on the update download notification list, but when I clicked on it to download and follow those directions, it just disappeared -- and has not returned. So, it seems to have worked. Thanks for your suggestions and I hope this solution might assist others out there who experience the same problem.[/quote]

You're quite welcome. Glad you found a solution. Thanks for posting back.

Joe