Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm in the process of constructing my website. I want to offer an ebook to be downloaded in Word format. I saw a website that offers such an option. Their document is downloaded into my Documents file. I uploaded the file I want to offer into my cPanel, but when I try to download it, it gets put into AppData>Local>Temp as a read only file. How can I get it to be downloaded into the downloader's Documents file, and not as a read-only?
    Thanks for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is the user's choice as to the location of a downloaded file. In Firefox, undder Tools and Options on the Main tab you can set where the downloaded files are located. The default is the desktop.

In all instances of IE that I have used, when I right click a download I get asked if I want to save or run the file. If I say Save, then I am prompted for the location.

Is that what you meant?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In IE it is as you say. Thank you. In Firefox, for a pdf download, it is also like you say, but for a Word format download, it doesn't give me a chance to choose and it puts it into Appdata>local>temp as read-only. What to do? Thanks for helping.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dovidshmuel' post='775138' date='14-May-2009 00:51']In IE it is as you say. Thank you. In Firefox, for a pdf download, it is also like you say, but for a Word format download, it doesn't give me a chance to choose and it puts it into Appdata>local>temp as read-only. What to do?[/quote]
    I'm not sure if this example is anywhere close to what you're trying to do. I did a Google search to find a .DOC file somwhere. You can see from the link in this example that it leads DIRECTLY to a .DOC file. If I click on the link, it does open my word processor program AND save the file to a temporary folder in My Documents folder. However, if I right-click as Johanna mentioned, in Firefox, it does give me a chance to choose the folder for saving.

Am I anywhere close?

[attachment=83749:2009_05_14_070506.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bigaldoc: sorry I took so long to reply. I don't understand what you're talking about so I guess it's not what I'm trying to do. I'm offering a free ebook on my website that has several hyperlinks in it referring to different parts in the book. The hyperlinks don't work in a PDF format version, only in a Word version. But when I try downloading the Word .doc version, it gets hidden in the path I mentioned above. I want it to be put into Documents, where the other .doc's are put so people who download it won't have to search for it.

Thanks
    [quote name='dovidshmuel' post='775138' date='14-May-2009 00:51']In IE it is as you say. Thank you. In Firefox, for a pdf download, it is also like you say, but for a Word format download, it doesn't give me a chance to choose and it puts it into Appdata>local>temp as read-only. What to do? Thanks for helping.[/quote]
    In Firefox (3.0.10) if I click on a hyperlink to a Word Document, a window opens with two choices:
    1) Open with (Microsoft Office Word- default)
    2) Save File

If I choose the "Open with" option, MS Word launches and the document opens. From Word then, the user can then choose to save the document to wherever he/she wishes.

If I choose the "Save File" option, then a Windows Explorer window opens and I can simply navigate to and select the folder where I want the document saved.

As mentioned previously, it is the USER who decides (in both FF & IE) where a document is saved - NOT the browser.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What are you using to create your PDF? When you create a PDF using Acrobat, the links are preserved. There are other software options that can do this as well.
    Diegol's post Favourite PDF software may be of some assistance.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not very literate in these things, but when I click on a Word document in Firefox 3.0.10, a "downloads" window opens, listing this download and all my previous downloads, showing what percentage of the download has been accomplished, when it's done Windows opens automatically with the file. I don't get the choice of "Open or Save," that you mention. I must have some add-on controlling the downloads, I looked but couldn't find one, though. Maybe it's because I'm using Vista. Anyway, as you say, if I then press CTRL-S, I can save it anywhere I want.

Thank you for your pointed answer and forgive me for my confusion. Problem resolved.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Firefox, go to Tools and Options.

On the General tab, there is an item that allows you to choose where to save downloaded files.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Johbot: thank you for the link. My current budget demands a free program, but I'll try the trial version of Acrobat. Thank you for letting me know that linking in PDF's is possible.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dovidshmuel' post='776005' date='20-May-2009 10:55']Johbot: thank you for the link. My current budget demands a free program, but I'll try the trial version of Acrobat. Thank you for letting me know that linking in PDF's is possible.[/quote]PrimoPDF is free, and allows hyperlinks. It works as a printer- you "print" your Word (or Excel or anything) but select PrimoPDF as the printer. Hyperlinks within the original document are kept in the pdf.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The PDF I make with PrimoPDF does not respond when I click on the hyperlinks. Am I leaving out an important step or something?

Thanks
    [quote name='dovidshmuel' post='776397' date='22-May-2009 01:30']The PDF I make with PrimoPDF does not respond when I click on the hyperlinks. Am I leaving out an important step or something?[/quote]
    Generally speaking, when you create a PDF by capturing a print job, only the hyperlinks in customary web formats (e.g., http://www.wopr.com/) are converted. Word's internal {REF Bookmark} fields are not converted. That is why people are willing to pay for Adobe's PDFMaker add-in and put up with its disruptive behavior....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information and the lead.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dovidshmuel' post='776005' date='19-May-2009 19:55']demands a free program,[/quote]
    I endorse Geoff's recommendation of PrimoPDF.
    As well I use the Foxit reader - it's Fa-a-a-st! phttp://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast