How to hide the paragraph sign

My texts in the Word documents began to appear with parapgraph signs at
    the end of each sentence of paragraph.Somehow i have made them appear
    and even though they are not printed i would like to make them
    disappear.How shall i proceed?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parapgraph signs (Word 2000)

Check two things. First, look at the toolbar - there is a button that looks like a paragraph marker. If it looks like it has been pressed in, click on it to make the paragraph signs go away. Second, go to the Tools menu and choose Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that in the formatting marks section, paragraph marks is not selected.

Lee Morgan

KTYorke

I agree with Lee... It sounds as if your Show/Hide button is showing. You can tell because not only are the paragraph markers showing, but there is probably a dot instead of a space every time you press the SPACEBAR. At times this is a useful feature but for the most part I agree that it's annoying...

You can also try CTRL+SHIFT+* as a toggle to show or hide those marks.
    Hope that helps
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Markus,

Although they can be easily hidden, I would advocate that you leave them on. The might look a little annoying to you- but I find it extremely useful to have them on. If I've left them off, and I press "Enter" at the end of a line instead of just flowing, I won't notice that without seeing the paragraph maker. That might lead to problems if I resize margins or add stuuf before- it will muck up the flow.

They're aloso useful when you want to apply formatting from one paragraph to another- you can copy the pargraph marker from the end of one paragraph to a new one, and formatting gets copied with it.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

It is not a good sign if the paragraph marks appear at the end of each sentence or each line; they should only appear at the very end of a paragraph. If they are popping up elsewhere, not on purpose, the document may be corrupted. Let us know if you think this is the problem and we will surely have some suggestions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I completely agree with Geoff. I never appreciated the power of the paragraph mark until I read Woody Leonard's Word 97 Annoyances, or was it one of his Que Special Edition books, anyway, I digress ... I agree that they look like a pain until you get used to them, but now I couldn't live without them. I often have to reformat inherited documents and without the paragraph marks and tab symbols, I would be lost.

I also agree that paragraph marks at the end of every line could indicate a corrupted document (unless they had been imported from a converted e-mail).

Just my two cents....